- Check in
- Review Straw Design
- Create criteria for material review
- Review materials
- Check-out and next steps
Review Straw Design
- Brainstorm possible solutions- answers how (what approach, integrated or not, etc.)?
- Defer evaluation and commitment
- Based on the interests
- Develop a straw design in 2 groups and share
|Program Feature||Priority||Budget Implication|
|Two period block (students could earn Alg. 1 or both Alg. 1 and geometry credit)||No|
|Smaller class size (less than 20)||Yes|
|Co-teaching with special education and math expertise||Possibly|
|Adaptive Software (multiple options)||Yes|
|Spanish speaker and/or translation interface||Yes|
|District wide Algebra 1 team to meet quarterly or more||Yes|
|Curriculum including pre/post assessments is well documented and sustainable (summer work?)||Yes|
|Shared planning period and course periods for Algebra 1 teachers (ELL and Special Education included)||Possibly|
- Research other districts that use an integrated approach
- Math Fellows
- Take in to consideration class size increase during the year
Concern about waiting to prioritize as schedules are being made and FTE will be sent by April 27th.
For Big Picture school, only 4 teachers for 6-12 and currently barely cover the classes. Would this require another teacher or cause a teacher to have to take on additional FTE.
Research places that do an integrated approach with Algebra 1 and Geometry.
Building in flexibility into whatever program we choose.
Have all the Algebra 1 courses offered during the same 2 periods? Some get Algebra 1 credit and some get to Algebra 1 and Geometry credit (Decide in December which students would get which credits). ND
Required planning period with all the Algebra 1 teachers. Y
ELL facilitator and Special Ed planning/conference period aligned with Algebra 1 teacher’s planning period. Y, but ND
Instructional materials and program is codified and documented for all to utilize (sustainable from year to year).
District-wide Algebra 1 team gets together quarterly (or more). Y
Pre-assessments and post assessments. Y
Co-teaching (both have math expertise): Y
Smaller class size (20 or under): Y, B
When the class gets bigger (during the year), we add an adult with math expertise: Y, B
Math fellows idea from Denver: Y, ND
Spanish speaker in the classroom if necessary: Y
Translation interface with their computers (Snap and Read Universal): Y. This should be for all classes
Adaptive Software (Cognitive Tutor, ALEKS, Dreambox, Ten Marks, etc.). Multiple options for each school.: y
Review and Edit Criteria for Materials
- Content aligned to Common Core State Standards and balanced between conceptual understanding, procedural skills, and application
- Overall impressions and connections to math practices
- Change Timeline?
- April 27th – have samples of materials to consider and consider. Goal to figure which samples to send to schools. Finalize program.
- Check the OneNote to see who is requesting samples
- May – schools are reviewing materials
- May 18th – looking at review data and deciding on a pilot
- June 7th – plan the pilot