Congratulations to Tillicum Middle School which was named a College Board SpringBoard National Demonstration School for the 2017-2020 school years.
SpringBoard Director Melissa Heinz said, “Our review team was thoroughly impressed and we commend you on your commitment to student success from the school culture to the student engagement, you have truly demonstrated excellence.”
Tillicum’s promising practices include:
- effective communications from school leadership about the school’s vision
- supportive teachers who are continuous learners and share best practices
- greater student engagement due to teachers high levels of respect and confidence in students
- successful implementation of the SpringBoard program, maintaining the integrity of the program
Tillicum’s areas of growth include:
- deepen teachers understanding of the program and encourage teachers to take ownership of instruction
- continue to focus on student-centered instruction through increased collaboration
- ensure that students are effectively using assessments to enhance learning
“We are proud to have received this recognition from the College Board,” said Principal James Peterson. “Obtaining national demonstration school status affirms that we know to be true every day – Tillicum exemplifies teaching excellence. We look forward to sharing our work with others as a demonstration school, and having the access to additional professional development and learning opportunities that come along with this recognition so that we can further improve our effectiveness for students.”
As a demonstration school, Tillicum will receive: three-year recognition status, registrations for staff to attend special College Board professional development conferences, a school plaque, and website recognition.
Tillicum will serve as a model site for schools throughout the country that are implementing SpringBoard. The College Board’s SpringBoard program is a Math and English Language Arts (ELA) instructional program for grades 6-12 for educators who are passionate about making an impact in the classroom by having their students truly engaged and learning. The SpringBoard curriculum and materials emphasize real-world connections for students and gives teachers the tools to help students succeed through engaging lessons. The curriculum is aligned to state standards and to the skills, knowledge and standards that ensure students are career and college ready.
For more information about the College Board SpringBoard program, visit their website.