We recognize that some students want to accelerate within the Bellevue School District math pathway. Students choosing to accelerate their math sequence in an effort to access higher levels of math prior to high school graduation have the following options:
Summer Program Accelerated Middle School Math Class
If you are interested in having your student take part in a BSD summer program mathematics class, registration information is available on the Summer Programs Accelerated Middle School Math page.
- Monday, February 24: Parents can sign up for the Accelerated Middle School Math Summer Program lottery (IMT1, IMT2, GIMT1 or GIMT2)
- Friday, March 6 at 4:30 p.m. : The lottery sign-up period will close
- Monday, March 9: The lottery will occur
- A tiered fee structure is available for students who qualify
Outside Learning Experience
- A prior approval document is required
- Outside learning experiences begin with Algebra 1
- IMT1 and IMT2 do not qualify for outside learning
IMT1 Summer Self Study
The Teaching and Learning Department supports authentic acceleration either by taking the course during the school year or by attending the BSD Summer School course. However, if there are extenuating circumstances that prevent authentic course acceleration, families may request online materials to be completed independently by students.
- No credit or grade will be earned for this option
- Students will need to take a placement test to determine readiness for IMT2
- If students choose summer self-study with the placement test, please request the online materials and register for the IMT1 Test by submitting their names through 2020 IMT1 Summer Self-Study Form by Friday, April 10, 2020.
In the meantime, please register them for the IMT1 course for the 2020-21 school year. If they meet the criteria on the placement test for IMT2, their middle school math registration will be changed to IMT2. Otherwise, they will need to meet the pre-requisite for IMT2, which is to take the IMT1 course.
For questions about self-study acceleration, families can email the Teaching and Learning department: IMT1selfstudy@bsd405.org.
Advanced Learning Program
Students in the Advanced Learning Program should refer to the Advanced Learning Math Placement page for math acceleration options.
About the District’s Accelerated Math Pathway
Following the accelerated pathway as outlined by the Common Core State Standards, Bellevue School District students learn 6th, 7th and 8th grade math content standards in 6th and 7th grade, ensuring that students are prepared for Algebra 1 in 8th grade. By adhering to the typical BSD math progression, all students will be prepared for AP Calculus or AP Statistics in their senior year of high school. We believe that all students need a solid middle school mathematics foundation to demonstrate depth of understanding and the ability to communicate this understanding required for college and career readiness.