July 27, 2020
Dear Bellevue Learning Community:
In our announcement of a Remote Learning Start for Fall, the Bellevue School District committed to sharing learning schedules with families to provide a better understanding of options for students and their families.
In the beginning of July, we asked families to complete an Intent to Enroll Form. Families were able to choose whether they preferred one of the following for their student:
- 100% in-person instruction, or
- Hybrid with 50% in-person and 50% remote learning, or
- 100% remote learning (BSD Virtual Learning)
The 100% in-person learning option has been removed due to the COVID-19 infection rate.
The following are the two remaining options for families:
- Temporary Remote Learning/Hybrid Learning
- Families that opt to participate in a Hybrid Learning model will begin school in a Temporary Remote Learning model with the plan to move to the Hybrid Learning model when infection rates are significantly lower.
- BSD Virtual Learning
- Families that opt to participate in 100% remote are enrolled in the BSD Virtual Learning model and will remain there for the first semester.
Sample Remote Learning Schedules
We have been working on these draft schedules since June. They have gone through numerous changes, involved multiple stakeholders and have been reviewed by representatives from the Bellevue Education Association (BEA), the School Board and District Leadership. The district has a legal requirement to bargain the effects on employees related to the impact of the pandemic, and to that end has been negotiating with BEA during the summer and will continue to negotiate the effects.
- Elementary School Full Remote Sample Learning Schedule (applicable for Temporary Remote or BSD Virtual Learning)
- Secondary School Full Remote Sample Learning Schedule (applicable for Temporary Remote or BSD Virtual Learning)
- Elementary School Hybrid Sample Learning Schedule
- Secondary School Hybrid Sample Schedule
Confirming Your Intent to Enroll
Families will be given another opportunity to complete an Intent to Enroll Form to decide where they prefer to place their student – either in Temporary Remote Learning/Hybrid Learning or BSD Virtual Learning.
After the Intent to Enroll form was first sent, we heard from many families that they needed more information to decide. That is why we have provided the learning schedules above to help guide your decision.
We expect to release questionnaires on July 28 with a due date of August 2 at 6 p.m. Your response will greatly assist the district in assigning students to educators and building schedules for middle and high school students. If you have already responded and do not wish to change your response you do not have to do anything.
Our Decision to Start Remotely
Deciding to return to school with remote learning was not an easy decision. We recognize that in-person learning is best for students. The Bellevue School District is committed to taking a careful, flexible, and science-based approach to re-opening. There were many reasons for our decision including:
- A higher infection rate than when we closed schools in March – 3.5 times according to King County COVID-19 Key Indicators.
- Input from Public Health of Seattle & King County, saying that we should be prepared to close a different school each week for outbreaks; and,
- The recent report by Bellevue-based Institute for Disease Modeling that states “Washington State is in the early stages of an exponential statewide outbreak”.
We want to return to in-person learning as soon as is reasonable. We can all help speed that up with changes to our behavior such as observing physical distancing and wearing face coverings in public. Please continue to visit our Planning for Fall page for more information.
Planning for Fall Online Forum: Join Ivan Duran, Superintendent, and other district leaders to hear developing plans for fall on Thursday, August 6 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. More details will be announced shortly.
Thank you for your partnership.
Bellevue School District