TIP: The College Board will soon be opening a registration site in Bellevue for SAT testing on Saturday November 7. If you are interested in testing on that date, please monitor the College Board’s registration site closely and register as soon as the link becomes available. The College Board requires Saturday testing to be open to all and there will likely be competition from students across the region for limited seats.
We know that cancelled spring and summer tests and the lack of available fall testing dates has caused significant stress and frustration for students who are navigating the college admissions process in the midst of the pandemic. We’ve been getting a lot of questions about when testing will be available and what supports students will have as they apply to colleges this year. Our high school counselors will soon have additional information and resources on what students can expect and where to go for help. Watch this site for more details, and counselors will also be reaching out to students with more information.
In the meantime, here is an update on college admissions testing availability.
Seniors and Juniors Interested in ACT or SAT Testing:
- Saturday, December 12 ACT: The ACT is being offered December 12 at Chinook Middle School, and registration is open. Registration is also available for multiple additional dates in the winter and spring. ACT plans to offer a remote proctoring solution, allowing students to take the test online, at home or at other convenient locations in the winter.
- Saturday, November 7 SAT: We are planning to host Saturday SAT testing on November 7. If you are interested in testing please monitor the College Board’s registration site closely and register as soon as the link becomes available. The College Board requires Saturday testing to be open to all and there will likely be competition from students across the region for limited seats.The College Board adheres to local public health guidelines, so we will be working with our public health department to determine whether to hold the test on November 7 and are currently planning to go forward if regional COVID-19 infection rates fall below 50 cases per 100,000 residents for 14 consecutive days. The College Board will let students know if the test date is cancelled and recommends that students check their email and test center closure page frequently since the situation can evolve rapidly.
- Spring Saturday SAT: We are also planning to host Saturday SAT testing in March and May, safety permitting.
If you have not yet met testing requirements for graduation and are planning to use your SAT or ACT score to meet those graduation requirements, please contact your school counselor. (This is rare; most students have already met the testing requirement through SBA testing or other avenues.)
Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities:
504/IEP Accommodations do not automatically apply to ACT or College Board Exams and you must apply for them separately.
- ACT Exam: When you register for the ACT, the online registration will ask you for your accessibility needs. You’ll receive an email that must be sent to your school counselor along with a completed Consent to Release Information form. You will need to work with a school counselor when making your requests. Your school counselor will submit your request, with documentation, to ACT. More information can be found here.
- SAT Exam: For students who need testing accommodations, if the College Board has already approved you to take the PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 10, or AP Exams with accommodations, you don’t need to make another request. If you have a documented disability and have not already had testing accommodations approved by the College Board, you should contact your counselor right away. Counselors must submit accommodation requests to the College Board by September 18 in order to be approved for the November 7 test.
Juniors Interested in PSAT Testing:
The College Board has opened a winter test date for the eleventh grade PSAT on January 26, 2021, and we are planning to host that test. The January administration will have the same benefits as the October PSAT/NMSQT, including eligibility for programs administered by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. A final decision on whether we participate will be based on local COVID-19 rates at the time.
Students can take the SAT and/or ACT in either their junior or senior year. See the information above for dates on these exams.
Practice Testing for 9th and 10th Graders:
As many of you know, traditionally we have a “Super Wednesday” testing day in October for practice college admissions testing as part of our comprehensive counseling curriculum, where 9th graders take the practice SAT and 10th graders take the practice ACT. Unfortunately, we will not be able to do these tests this year due to COVID-19 safety concerns. There are a variety of online resources for students who would like to take practice tests at home.