This year BSD began our first Core Plus Construction program called “Building Industry Technology – Core Plus Construction,” which is a three-hour program located at Interlake High School. Core Plus Construction is an approved program by the state of Washington. The instructional material created for this program is created by construction firms and apprenticeship programs from across the state of Washington. The instructor, Billy Selset, has worked extremely hard to provide an outstanding experience for all students. To prepare, Selset attended all the workshops and conferences that have been provided by Core Plus. So far, the students have built two tiny homes for the homeless and are building their third home.
Becoming a State-Approved Construction Pre-Apprenticeship Program
During the year, Marilyn Henselman, CTE Director, worked with local construction companies, such as GLY, Turner, and Schuchart Construction, as well as Local Union 242, and the Washington Carpenters Labor Union to receive letters of support to create the first Pre-Apprenticeship program at Interlake High School.
After a great deal of work and a great deal of paperwork submitted to the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I), the program was approved as a registered state pre-apprenticeship program at 11:00 a.m. on April 21, 2022, by the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council. This will entitle students to continue their careers in the construction industry after graduating.
BSD has a memorandum of understanding with the program partners that outlines what students must complete prior to graduating from the program. This documentation and certifications earned over the school year will entitle students to enter the field/apprenticeship program in good standing. This is a huge accomplishment, and all students in the program this school year benefit since the state approval was effective immediately.
Thank You, BSD Community Advocates
Congratulations to Interlake High School’s Building Industry Technology – Core Plus Construction program and to all the individuals who were advocates for this state-recognized program:
- Aaron Combs, Interim Executive Director – Carpenters-Employers Apprenticeship & Training Trust Fund
- Bill DeJarlais, Principal, Executive VP – GLY Construction
- Marilyn Henselman, CTE Director – Bellevue School District
- Billy Hetherington – Laborers’ International Union of North America Local 242
- Brandon Jordan, Training Director – Northwest Laborers – Employers Training Trust
- Aubre Nelson, Apprenticeship Consultant – Washington State Department of Labor & Industries
- Sarah Patterson, Workforce Director – Associated General Contractors Education Foundation
- Zachary Reed, Project Accountant – Turner Construction
- Billy Selset, Core Plus Construction Teacher – Bellevue School District
- Tamaka Thornton, Community & Citizenship Director – Turner Construction
- Jeff Tobin, Business Partner, Chief Operating Officer – Schuchart Construction
- Marianna Talbott, Pre-Apprenticeship, Outreach & Retention Coordinator – NW Carpenters Institute
- Kwanna Wise, Community Outreach Representative – NW Carpenters Institute
Thank you all for helping BSD students become creators of their future world!