Dear Clyde Hill Families,
Welcome to the 2015-16 school year! Whether you are returning to Clyde Hill from your summer break, or if you are new to our area and school, we are pleased to welcome you to the new school year! Our staff and teachers have been busy making preparations over the past several weeks, and we are thrilled and excited to kick off another great school year.
This weekend (or before the first day of school) you should receive a large green post card in the mail with your child’s teacher/classroom assignment. If for some reason you don’t receive this information, we will be pleased to assist you on Tuesday morning before the start of our first day. There will be many staff members available in the drop off area as well as the front and covered areas, so please look for those staff members with clipboards if you need assistance with bus information or classroom assignments.
I am pleased to introduce all of our new staff members to you and you can find a short bio and picture on the “Meet Our New Staff” page on our website.
- Megan James will be joining our kindergarten team. She will be replacing Mrs. Lauren Jensen as she has moved to teach at the second grade level here at Clyde Hill.
- Ellen Hall will be joining our first grade team. We now have a total of 6 class sections for first grade!
- Karen Ciccone will be joining our third grade team. She will replace Mrs. Sue Shannon who accepted a position as teacher in our English Language Learner Department at another Bellevue Elementary school.
- Our new 0.5 school counselor is Ann Marie Jones. She is replacing Mrs. Lisa Soli who retired at the end of last school year.
- We are very excited to have gained a half-time teacher to support our English Language Learners. Dawn Brastad will be joining us and working with our current ELL teacher, Mr. Ryan Wahlberg.
- Kari Rebman will be joining our staff at our full time reading assistance teacher. She replaces Mrs. Shirley Vallejos. This position that was half-time last year has been increased to full time this year!
- David Ferguson and Mr. John Shafchuk make up our new music team. Both Mr. Ferguson and Mr. Shafchuk will share the position that Mr. Holmberg held prior to his retirement. Mr. Ferguson will also support our afterschool choral music program.
- Betsy Norton will join our special education team as a half time teacher which is in addition to our current staffing. She will work with Mrs. Sunitha Iyer who is returning from maternity leave this September.
- As you all may have read in an earlier email this summer Laurie Harvey, our former Instructional Technology Curriculum Leader (ITCL), will be our new Assistant Principal. Jennifer Johnson, who was originally assigned to replace Mr. Scott Hetherington, was transferred to another school. We are thrilled to have Mrs. Harvey move into this role as she will be a great asset to our teachers, students, and families. Mr. Chhoun Mey has been named to fill Mrs. Harvey’s ITCL vacancy.
Please help me welcome these new staff members to our community! Thanks to our supportive parent community we have been able to maintain our current Instructional Assistant staffing that supports students at each grade level as well as provides additional supervision for our student across the school day and before and after school. We will highlight these positions and new staff members in the following weeks as we continue to complete our hiring processes. If you or someone you know is interested in working as a part time Instructional Assistant, please let us know as the BSD School District is hiring and always looking for great employees to serve our students!
Please join us on the first day of school, this coming Tuesday, September 1st. Teachers will greet their students at 8:00AM in the covered area and school begins at 8:05! Please join our PTA and administration for coffee in the multi-purpose building beginning at 8:00AM, and our welcome back assembly will begin at 9:00AM in the multi-purpose building. Welcome back and see you on Tuesday!
Mary Olin, Principal
Clyde Hill Elementary