Dear Newly-Enrolled Families and Students of Clyde Hill Elementary:
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school-year at Clyde Hill Elementary! I speak for the entire staff when I say that we are thrilled to have you join our school community. The elementary years are such an exciting journey of growth and change. I am confident that we here at Clyde Hill have the ability to support and challenge each and every student in order to achieve their highest potential. Because you are new to Clyde Hill, I’d like to take this opportunity to provide additional information regarding registration, September events and the first days of school.
* Registration: Please be sure your student’s registration is complete and all materials have been submitted to Clyde Hill’s Main Office by Friday, August 26th at 12:00 p.m. This includes forms containing information regarding health and immunizations. The school office will open on the 19th of August. If you have any questions feel free to contact us either by calling 425-456-5000 or emailing our Office Manager, Holly Westerberg, at firstname.lastname@example.org . Office hours prior to the first day of school will be 7:00-3:00 and closed for one hour between 11:30-12:30
* Student Placement: An email will be sent to each family announcing your child’s placement for the school year. This email will be sent late on the afternoon of Monday, August 29th. On August 30th, please join us for a community wide “Meet and Greet” event. Meet your child’s teacher from 8:00-8:30am in your child’s newly assigned classroom. This is a quick drop in opportunity for your child to see their classroom and meet their teacher, and hopefully reduce any “first day jitters” for our students….and parents.
* New Family Welcome Orientation and Tour: A New Family Orientation and Tour will be offered to families during the August 30th “Meet and Greet,” beginning at 8:30 in the cafeteria. After meeting your child’s teacher join us for a short introduction of helpful information for the start of the school year. Also during this event parents can drop off your child’s school supplies in your child’s classroom, load your child’s lunch account, visit with after-school program vendors, learn about our many PTA sponsored programs, speak with a representative from the Transportation Office, and take care of any school business matters in the main office. Although the “Meet and Greet” and orientation will run about an hour, the after-school vendors, transportation, and other support service will be available until 10:00am.
* First Days of School: For grades 1-5 the first day of school is August 1st/Kindergarten students start on September 6th
o Arrival – School starts promptly at 8:05 a.m. Early morning traffic patterns around Clyde Hill are very challenging and therefore, we encourage walking, carpooling, and/or riding the bus if you live within the bus boundary. If you drive your student, please use the drop-off/pick-up horseshoe, or park in a designated parking stall. Following arrival, all students report to morning line-up. See below for further morning line-up information.
o Morning Line-up – Upon arrival at Clyde Hill, all students report to the covered area and line-up by classroom number. Please look for your child’s classroom number painted on the concrete floor of the covered area. Educational Assistants provide supervision in the covered area from 7:45-8:00 a.m.
At 8:00 a.m. (first bell) classroom teachers pick-up their students and walk as a group to the classroom. Classroom instruction begins at 8:05 a.m. Please do not arrive prior to 7:45 a.m.
o Lunch – Students may purchase a hot lunch or bring a lunch from home. Please make sure lunches from home are “ready to eat” as microwaves are not available. Hot lunch (including milk) costs $3.25 per day, and milk alone costs $0.50. Lunch menus are viewable online at http://bsd405.org/departments/nutrition-services/lunch/. Payments to your child’s account may be made in several ways. You may pay by cash or check at the school office. These payments should come to the front office before school. You may make credit card payments online through PayPams. To register, go to https://paypams.com.
o Dismissal – Prior to departing for school in the morning, please ensure that your student knows how they will be going home each and every day; bus, parent pick-up, walk, Clyde Hill’s After School Activity Program, etc. It is also important to communicate these plans to your child’s classroom teacher.
* Buses: Buses pick-up and drop-off students at the front of the school. For students in 1st through 3rd grade, yellow wrist bands will be mailed to families who qualify for bus transportation, and extras will be available in the office. For the first week or so of school, if your child is riding the bus home, they must have this wristband either on their wrist or backpack. On this band, you will write your child’s name, emergency contract numbers, route # and stop location.
* Parent Pickup: If you are picking up your student on foot, please walk to your student’s classroom and wait outside the door until dismissal. Those students being picked up by car will wait at the “horseshoe”; Clyde Hill’s drop-off and pick-up zone. As a driver, please wait in your car, and keep the line moving by proceeding forward. Students who remain on campus at 2:40 p.m. will return to the office where phone calls to families will be made.
o Change of Dismissal Plans: Should dismissal plans change during the course of the school day, please contact the Main Office by 2:00 p.m. – 425-456-5000. Because teachers are instructing students and may not receive your voicemail or email, it is important you contact the Main Office, rather than teachers.
You will receive by email an August Newsletter that will go out to all of our families in the next few days. Please take a look and mark your calendar for important August and September events. Also, if you will be transporting your child to and from school there is more detailed information and a map regarding our pick up and drop off procedure.
I know I speak for our entire staff when I say we’re really excited to start school. I have tremendous respect for the thoughtfulness, intelligence and commitment of Clyde Hill’s staff. We’re all in the process of getting ready and this letter will hopefully give you all the information you need to get ready as well! Until then, enjoy the summer and we’ll see you on Thursday, September 1!
Principal – Clyde Hill Elementary