Attendance Area Transfers
Unless a student has been approved to attend a different school within the District, it is expected that they will enroll at their attendance area school.
Transfer Requests are no longer being accepted for the 2021-22 school year.
Applications for Attendance Area Transfers
Open Transfer Application
This application is for a parent or guardian to request that their student be allowed to attend another school in the district for the next school year. The Open Transfer period will begin the 2nd week of December for approximately 5 weeks. The Open Transfer application is an online application and will be available here on the BSD website.
Transfer Request Waitlist Application
This application is now available for those who missed the Open Transfer application period. Please submit your Transfer Request Waitlist application to be considered for September 2022 entry. Transfer Request Waitlist applicants will be placed on the bottom of the appropriate Open Transfer waitlist in the order received.
Request to Remain Applications
These applications are for the current school year and are mainly for students who wish to continue at their current school after moving to a different attendance area within the District. A Request to Remain application must be submitted and will be approved or denied based on but not limited to the following.
Request to Remain Considerations by enrollment level:
- Elementary Requests to Remain will be considered on a case by case basis and approved or denied based on current or projected enrollment numbers and current or projected staffing levels for the specific grade level and building at both the attendance area and requested school.
- Secondary Requests to Remain will also apply to students enrolled in a Choice Program or self-contained Advanced Learning services who wish to opt out; they may do so and remain at their initial secondary enrollment school to complete the school level.
General Considerations for Request to Remain applications:
- If the student is in good standing at their current school (see Procedure 3120.1P for more detailed information).
- The family move must have occurred after the start of the entry level grade (kindergarten for elementary school, 6thgrade for middle school and 9th grade for high school).
- To the extent allowed under Policy 3120, an approved request to remain, continues until the student completes the education level (elementary, middle or high
- If the student is not eligible to complete the school level, the request may be approved to complete the school year, transfer to the new attendance area will begin at the start of the new school year.
Considerations for Attendance Area Transfers
- A student who has been attending the school for a minimum of two years and during the last two grades of that grade span (e.g., Grades 4 or 5 for elementary, 8 for middle or 11 or 12 for high school) moves within the District to a new attendance area and the student wishes to remain at the same school.
- Students who move out of an attendance area but have begun 12th grade in the District, will be allowed to stay through graduation.
- If a transfer is approved the parent or guardian assumes full responsibility for adequate transportation and supervision to and from school.
Limitations for Attendance Area Transfers
Transfer Request Waitlist submissions stating sibling enrollment in the school as the reason for the transfer will only be considered after the pending Open Transfer requests of siblings have been placed.
Approved transfer students may be required to return to their home attendance area school or transfer to another school if the enrollment in the school or grade level at the school in which they are enrolled increases to the point where there would be inadequate space for transfer students. Enrollment increases may be caused by an influx of new resident students with in a school’s existing boundaries or by the addition of new resident students to a school as the result of a boundary change or movement or expansion of a District program.
Approved transfers are discontinued at the time the student leaves the school or program for any reason or if a student withdraws or is withdrawn from the Bellevue School District.
Approved transfers may be discontinued if the student is not in good standing (see Procedure 3120.1P for more detailed information).
Before the transfer of a student is terminated under the above provision, the student and the parent/guardian will be notified that the student’s continued attendance at this school or program is in jeopardy. Should a decision be made to terminate the student’s transfer under this provision, the parent/guardian will be notified and may appeal that termination to the Superintendent’s Designee within three days of the notification.
Athletics Eligibility and Attendance Area Transfers
Students granted a transfer request may not be eligible to participate in varsity athletics for one calendar year after being enrolled in the new school. The Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) eligibility rules apply to all high school students who transfer between schools. For more information or if you have questions click here for Athletics & Activities.
- Establishing Residency
- Exceptions to Entrance Requirements
- Home-Based Instruction
- InterDistrict Transfer
- Open Transfer
- Apply to Choice Schools and Programs
- Status of Schools 2021-2022 (Current) School Year
- Status of Schools 2022-2023 (Next) School Year
- Attendance Area Transfers