Transfer Requests will not be accepted for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year. Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) school building closures, all students will continue at their current schools.
Unless a student has been approved to attend a different school within the District, it is expected that students will attend their neighborhood school. A parent or guardian may request that their child be allowed to attend another school in the district by submitting a completed and signed Transfer Request Form to the Student Placement office by email at email@example.com or in person at 12011 NE 1st Street Suite 210, Bellevue, WA 98005.
If a Transfer Request is approved the parent or guardian assumes full responsibility for adequate transportation and supervision to and from school.
A Transfer Request form must be submitted, when received the request will be approved or denied based on the following and other considerations (see Procedure 3120.1P for more detailed information):
- A student who has been attending the school for a minimum of two years and during the last two grades of that grade span (e.g., Grades 4 or 5 for elementary) moves within the District to a new attendance area and the student wishes to remain at the same school.
- Students who move out of an attendance area but have begun 12th grade in the District, will be allowed to stay through graduation.
- All transfers between schools will be approved or denied based on current or projected enrollment numbers and current or projected staffing levels for the specific grade level and building at both the attendance area and requested school.
Transfer Request submissions stating sibling enrollment in the school as the reason for the transfer will only be considered after the pending Open Transfer requests of siblings have been placed.
Transfer Request students may be required to return to their home attendance area school or transfer to another school if the enrollment in the school or grade level at the school in which they are enrolled increases to the point where there would be inadequate space for transfer students. Enrollment increases may be caused by an influx of new resident students with in a school’s existing boundaries or by the addition of new resident students to a school as the result of a boundary change or movement or expansion of a District program.
Transfers Request granted are discontinued at the time the student leaves the school or program for any reason or if a student withdraws or is withdrawn from the Bellevue School District.
Transfers Requests may be discontinued if the student is excessively tardy or truant, or if the student engages in frequent misconduct, and/or disruptive behavior in violation of school/program rules that indicate the student is not being successful in the school or program.
Before the transfer of a student is terminated under the above provision, the student and the parent/guardian will be notified that the student’s continued attendance at this school or program is in jeopardy. Should a decision be made to terminate the student’s transfer under this provision, the parent/guardian will be notified and may appeal that termination to the Superintendent’s Designee within three days of the notification.
Students granted a Transfer Request are not eligible to participate in varsity athletics for one calendar year after being enrolled in the new school. The Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) eligibility rules apply to all high school students who transfer between schools.
- Establishing Residency
- Exceptions to Entrance Requirements
- Home-Based Instruction
- InterDistrict Transfer
- Open Transfer (formerly Open Enrollment)
- Apply to Choice Schools and Programs
- Status of Schools 2020-2021 (Current) School Year
- Status of Schools 2021-2022 (Next) School Year
- Transfer Request