Eastgate Elementary – We are Eagles! We soar!
May Pelto, Principal
Erlinda Iniguez, Assistant Principal
August 19, 2022
Did you know this newsletter has been uploaded to our website? All website content can be translated. Click here to link to the school website where you can access the translation tab at the upper left corner of the screen.
Dear Eastgate Families,
I hope you’re having a safe and relaxing summer!
We wrapped up last year by choosing a student designed theme for this upcoming year. Our students voted and our theme will be – We are Eagles! We soar! We can’t wait to soar into this upcoming school year.
Soon our staff will begin their transition back to school and classrooms. Until then, the office officially opens on August 22, 11:30-3:00. Our new Nurse, Nurse Hong-Châu Tran, would be quite happy to accept health care plans and medications. If you have an incoming preschool or kindergarten student, registrations will still be online and the earlier your children are registered, the better, since student count will determine our staffing.
We have planned several opportunities for students and families to connect this year. Please mark your calendars with these upcoming Eastgate dates:
Eastgate PTA Playdates: August 20, 10:00-12:00, Lattawood Park (see PTA website for more details)
Eastgate Office Opens: August 22, 11:30-3:00 daily
Kindergarten Camp for our Incoming Kindergarten Students: Friday, August 26, 9:15-11:30 @ Eastgate
Class Placement: Will be sent via email on Monday, August 29
K-5 Meet/Greet and Popsicles with the Principals: Tuesday, August 30
- Kindergarten and Olympic Teacher Visits, 2:30
- Kindergarten Bus Ride, 3:00
- Grades 1st – 5th, 3:00
- Popsicles with the Principals on the Playground, 3:30
First Day of School (Grades 1-5): Thursday, September 1, PTA Back to School Coffee at 9:05 in the outdoor courtyard
Kindergarten Connections Meetings: Thursday, September 1; Friday, September 2; and Tuesday, September 6 – More information coming soon
No School Monday, September 5th – Labor Day
PreK Open House: September 6, 3:00-4:30
First Day of School for Pre-K and Kindergarten: Wednesday, September 7, PTA Kindergarten Back to School Coffee at 9:05
PTA Back to School Social: Friday, September 9, 6:30-8:00
Curriculum Night: Dates and times TBD
The remainder of this email covers a variety of back-to-school topics. I hope you enjoy the remainder of your summer and I look forward to soaring into a new year with all of you!
May Pelto, Eastgate Principal
PreK Bell Schedule
8:45- Start Time
2:45 – Dismissal
K-5 Bell Schedule
9:05- School Start Time
3:35 – Dismissal (M,T,Th, F)
1:20 – Wednesday Dismissal
Regular and punctual attendance is vital, and we are required to track all absences. For our K-5 students, please contact our attendance hotline to report any absences, late arrivals, or early pick-ups at 425-456-5104.
Student Placement and Classroom Teachers
The Eastgate staff is excited to welcome your child back to school. K-5 classroom placement will be emailed on Monday, August 29th and students will be able to meet their teachers on Tuesday, August 30th.
Our tentative classroom teacher assignments are:
- Kindergarten: Tiffany Ostlund, Kelly Sauve
- First Grade: Diana Forsman, Sara Lockwood, Natasha Nimmo
- Second Grade: Kelli Lane, Kristine Tan, Angela Wulbert (may be teaching a 2/3 split based on enrollment)
- Third Grade: Jenny Rosenthal, Jannette Rotz,
- Fourth Grade: Shail Azhar, Alex Rea
- Fifth Grade: Olivia Ingersoll, Inna Bobick, Doug Faulkner
Student Drop off and Pick Up
For the safety of your children, please follow the following drop off and pick up procedures. The drop off/pick up area can become congested and following these procedures can help us keep the traffic moving as safely, and swiftly as possible.
Preschool hours will be 8:45-2:45. We ask that all K-5 families drop off after 8:50 and do not come to wait for dismissal until 3:00. Coming earlier than this will impact our preschool families who need to park and walk into preschool.
K-5 Student Drop Off:
- Students may be dropped off in the lot off Newport Way ONLY. It is very important that you do not drop off in the bus parking lot. This is for the safety of your child and because there are 4 other schools that use this lot as bus stops.
- Drop off begins after 8:50 – there is no supervision prior
- There is a lane along the front of the building you will pull over to for drop off.
- Do not exit your car. A staff member will assist your child with exiting the car when it is time. Students will exit from the passenger side of your car.
- Once your child has exited, please move forward to exit the parking lot toward the Early Learning Center. There will be two lanes exiting on to 152nd Ave SE. One going left and one going right
- Park in designated spots only
K-5 Student Pick Up:
- School ends at 3:35 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday and at 1:20 on Wednesday. Students must be picked up promptly
- Please do not arrive before 3:00 to wait to pick up your child. This will create a congested parking lot and will impact our preschool families.
- Pick up is in the parking lot off Newport Way. There is NO student pick up in the bus parking lot.
- Two lanes will be formed to prevent traffic from impeding Newport Way. Lines have been painted to indicate where two lines form.
- The two lines will zipper merge to create one line in our pick-up/drop off zone.
- Two lanes will exit the parking lot on to 152nd Ave SE.
- A car tag will be given to you to place on the dashboard.
Students will be assigned an iPad (kindergarten and first grade) or a laptop (2nd-5th grade) during the first weeks of school. If you have any technology equipment at your home from last year, please bring it on the first day of school. This includes chargers, laptops, iPads, stylus, keyboards, etc.
At Eastgate we want to ensure all students have the school supplies necessary to engage in classroom activities. For this reason, we have purchased class sets of school supplies. If you would still like to purchase school supplies for your child or their classroom, the optional list of supplies can be found here https://bsd405.org/eastgate/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2022/06/2022-Parent-School-Supplies.pdf. Additionally, students may consider purchasing their own binder and pencil box as noted in the school supply list.
If your child is in need of a backpack, please contact our school counselor, Lindsay Verschueren at firstname.lastname@example.org
School Lunch and Free and Reduced Priced Meals
Easgate will not have a breakfast program this year. Additionally, BSD Nutrition Services will start charging fees for student meals for the 2022-23 school year. Nutrition Services uses PayPAMS for online payments for meals. Families can use PayPAMS to set up low balance reminders and automatic deposits. Families may also choose to pay for meals by check or cash at their child’s school. Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals will be available in mid-August.
NEW – Bellevue Family Hub Opens to Support BSD Families
The Bellevue School District welcomes families from across the district to the new Bellevue Family Hub located at Highland Middle School. Beginning August 22, families are invited to visit the Hub to meet with trained volunteers who can connect them to resources for clothing assistance, rent assistance, and BSD school support. The Bellevue Family Hub located at Highland Middle School (15027 NE Bel-Red Road) is a joint partnership between the Bellevue School District and Bellevue LifeSpring.