Each year 5th grade classroom teachers instruct students on the topics of Family, Life and Sexual Health (FLASH) and HIV/AIDS. This year the Bellevue School District will hold two District Family Information Sessions to inform parents/guardians of their child’s upcoming health unit in fifth grade.
As the parent/guardian, you have the right to request that your child be excluded from these lessons, but you must first preview the HIV/AIDS curriculum at a district parent information session in order to exclude your child from instruction (in compliance with the Washington State Omnibus Act). If an exclusion from some or all of the HIV/AIDS or FLASH lessons is requested, a separate form for each must be completed and signed by parent/guardian. If you are interested in previewing the written health lessons in the unit, you may follow the directions below. The HIV/AIDS and puberty videos that are shown in class will be shown at the parent information session.
The lessons are available for parent viewing, to log in follow the directions below:
- Visit: www.bit.ly/healthpreview
- Login with your student’s BSD email account (email@example.com). For example, Jane Doe would use firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have trouble with your student’s username and password please contact email@example.com
- The password is s# and the student’s ID. For example: s#123456
- Select grade level 5 to preview the curriculum
- Scroll down to select different pages to preview lesson materials
The district wants students and families to realize that we consider YOU to be the most important source of information for these topics, so we look forward to a partnership in educating children together. The curriculum will be taught in the classrooms from April through June. Please contact your child’s teacher with any questions or concerns.