Middle School Social & Emotional Learning
SEL Curriculum Developer
SEL Curriculum Developer
The Bellevue School District’s Instructional Material Committee approved the adoption of MindUP as the Bellevue School District’s middle school social emotional learning curriculum on April 20, 2017. Pending School Board approval at the May 2, 2017 board meeting, the implementation of the curriculum will begin in the 2017-18 school year.
The initial focus of the implementation will be training adults first. This will take place during first semester in the 2017-18 school year. The curriculum will not be implemented in the classroom until extensive and thorough training has been completed. We will be providing various opportunities for our families and community members to also take part in learning about the curriculum, participate in training and provide feedback and perspectives. The purpose is to ensure that when lessons are delivered to students, the District has considered and honored family cultures, perspectives and values.
In addition, each of our seven schools serving middle school grades (6-8) will be delivering lessons that best fits the climate, culture and needs of each building and not all buildings will follow the same model. We will be communicating building specific plans with the community during first semester as well.
If you have any questions, or need additional information, please feel free to contact Wendy Powell, Social Emotional Learning Curriculum Developer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 425-456-4165.
The Middle School Social Emotional Learning Implementation Team Formed in 2016-17.
In April, 2016, the Middle School Adoption Committee recognized the need to discuss logistics on district-wide implementation of social emotional learning in our schools before moving forward with recommending a curriculum to the Instructional Materials Committee (IMC). Social Emotional Learning, to be truly effective for students and adults, needs to be integrated within the school day, which will require additional planning and discussion.
Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Middle School Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Implementation Team will be to make recommendations for implementing Social Emotional Learning into our 7 schools serving middle school students (including International and Big Picture). This will include how Social Emotional Learning lessons are delivered, when they are delivered, and by whom.
In addition, the team will make recommendations on how to integrate Social Emotional Learning throughout the day, authentically and with a culturally relevant lens, in order to meet the needs of each and every student. All recommendations should allow for flexibility to support the unique needs of individual schools. The Implementation Team will also verify that the Adoption Committee’s curriculum recommendation aligns with their implementation recommendations before the curriculum is taken to the Instructional Materials Committee (IMC) for approval. Additionally, the Team may assist in planning the training model to adequately train all staff.
School building team members may include
- Classified staff (optional)
The team may ask for community stakeholder participation after decisions regarding internal school needs have been addressed.
Minutes & Presentations
May 16, 2016
April 18, 2016
March 30, 2016
March 10, 2015
January 6, 2015
- Instructional Materials Adoption
- Honors 7th Grade Literature & Composition Committee
- Life Skills Curriculum
- Special Education Direct Instruction Reading Curriculum
- Algebra 1 – Geometry – Algebra 2 (AGA) Math Adoption
- Honors Freshman Literature & Composition Adoption Committee
- Elementary Science Adoption
- Middle School Science Adoption
- French 4 Textbook Adoption
- ISA Middle School Textbook Adoption
- Japanese Textbook Adoption
- World History Textbook Adoption
- Inclusive Practices Advisory Team
- Athletic Code Review Committee
- Donation Policy Committee
- High School Social & Emotional Learning
- Middle School Social & Emotional Learning
- Inactive Committees
- AP Physics Adoption
- Elementary 18 Attendance Area Committee
- High School Algebra 1 Adoption
- High School Start Time Steering Committee
- Jr. American Literature Textbook Adoption
- K-5 Chinese Dual Language Adoption
- Middle School ELA Summer Reading Adoption
- Middle School Math Adoption
- P-12 Chinese Dual Language Program