Family Advisory Committee
The purpose of the Family Advisory Committee is twofold:
- To uphold the vision and mission of family engagement for all families, particularly those who have been traditionally marginalized, in order for them to be more informed, better able to find support, and more empowered to contribute to their student’s success.
- To participate in developing long-term practices of inclusion and representation through two-way critical feedback and advisement between families and District leaders.
Why is this important?
The Family Advisory Committee advocates for the diverse voices of families in the Bellevue School District on matters important to various groups, including, but not limited to, the District Leadership Team, Equity Advisory and Accountability Collaborative (EAAC), and the Department of Equity, Family and Community Engagement. The committee also engages in experiences that deepen their knowledge and ability to impact organizational transformation.
Members serve one school year term with the option to continue the following year. Monthly meetings are held October through June.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Identifies common needs and goals amongst our diverse community groups.
- Gathers and provides feedback from groups they are connected to, to ensure that family and community needs are represented beyond their own perspective.
- Brings attention to existing and emerging issues expressed by various stakeholder groups.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities to increase partnership and collaboration between families, schools, and the school district.
- Identifies and recommends culturally appropriate practices to welcome and engage diverse families in all schools.
Members will be asked to review articles, documents, and other relevant materials in preparation for meetings. Meeting materials will be shared at least 48 hours in advance of each meeting.
- October 17, 2022
- November 14, 2022
- December 12, 2022
- January 9, 2023
- February 13, 2023
- March 13, 2023
- April 10, 2023
- May 8, 2023
- June 12, 2023
- Ashok Shimoji-Krishnan, Somerset Elementary parent
- Carla Merkow, Puesta del Sol Elementary parent
- Danya Schwab, Bellevue School District
- Deana Ahn, International School parent
- Gargi Trichel, Bellevue School District
- Jamie Cho, Somerset Elementary, Tyee Middle School, and Newport High School parent
- Johanna Kuznietsov, Sammamish High School parent
- Joy Coker, Bellevue Digital Discovery and Sammamish High School parent
- Karen Rhatigan, Tyee Middle School and Newport High School parent
- Marissa John, Chinook Middle School parent
- Monica Webster, Washington State Healthcare Authority
- Nathan Hoff, Newport High School parent
- Rehana Kajani, Bellevue School District
- Sherry Xiong, Medina Elementary School parent
- Shomari Jones, Bellevue School District
- Middle School Student Well-Being Adoption Committee
- Superintendent Community Advisory Council (SCAC)
- Family Advisory Committee