The 2023-24 Superintendent Community Advisory Council (SCAC) will advise the Superintendent on engaging the community in a deep and authentic way and will gather, synthesize and share community input throughout the study. SCAC will use the Middle School Enrollment and Potential Consolidation Study Process as a case study to design an equity centered roadmap for community engagement. It is important to note that the Council will focus on the community engagement process and will not be making any recommendations related to middle school enrollment.
The Bellevue School District Superintendent Community Advisory Council (SCAC) was formed in September 2020 to engage a diverse set of voices in key district decisions. The Advisory Committee provides input and makes recommendations to the Superintendent on issues determined by the Superintendent.
Why is this Important?
The global pandemic caused by COVID-19, coupled with the racial justice movement in the U.S., affords school districts a unique opportunity to think differently and design better solutions for all students. Bellevue School District has sought the engagement of a broad cross-section of stakeholders to bring new ideas to the fore; to embrace the innovation, creativity, and passion for public education that exists in our community; and to include community members as thought partners.
This effort builds on the feedback loops and continuous improvement efforts the district has in place. The Advisory Committee is considered an important vehicle to:
- Promote engagement of community stakeholders.
- Strengthen feedback loops with families and students.
- Expand access to parents and other community members through the networks of participants.
- Test and socialize new ideas and approaches.
The Council is typically led by two co-chairs who are not BSD employees and is comprised of 20 – 24 members. Members represent a cross-section of district stakeholders, including students, parents, educators, administrators, local business and non-profit leaders, and other district partners.
- Patrick Bannon, BDA
- Monik Martinez, 4 Tomorrow
- Roz Burton, BHS Parent
- Siamak Najmabadi, Bennett Elementary Parent
- Diann Strom, Sherwood Forest Parent
- Robin Anand, IHS Student
- Juliet Buder, Bellevue Schools Foundation
- Debbie Lacey, Eastside for All
- Adam Dibba, Africans on the Eastside
- Jesse Franklin, Rainier Athletes
- Jennifer Fischer, Bellevue LifeSpring
- Jessica Smiddy, BSD PTSA Council
- Supriya Unnikrishnan, BSD Family Engagement Specialist
- Jolenta Coleman Bush, Microsoft
- Heija Nunn, Windermere
- Jacq Oliges, Amazon
- Toni Esparza, City of Bellevue
- Byron Lillie, BSD Principal
- Katerina Pawloski-Johnson, BSD Assistant Principal
- Susan Thomas, BSD Principal
- Mariela Stockdale, BSD Grad Success Coach
- Heather Sanchez, BSD Administrator
- Shomari Jones, BSD Administrator
- October 11, 2023
- November 15, 2023
- December 13, 2023
- January 17, 2024
- February 14, 2024
- March 13, 2024
- April 26, 2024