Don’t forget to keep scrolling.
Parents and Students of Interlake,
Welcome Back! We are looking forward to meeting and reconnecting with each of you as we enter the final few weeks of summer and prepare for the first day of school, Thursday, September 3rd. Administration and staff have been working incessantly to bring as much “normalcy” to your experience as we begin the 2020-2021 year with remote learning. From Freshmen Orientation, a Welcome Back assembly, and Curriculum Night, we’re committed to providing key services and events so our community experiences some familiarity during these uncertain times.
It’s going to take all of us working together this year for each and every student to learn and thrive. I know personally, when I envisioned myself becoming a first-year principal, I didn’t anticipate or daydream about doing it remotely and during the middle of a pandemic! This has been hard on all of us. However, I know if we lead with patience and empathy and extend grace along the way, we will make it through to the other side. As I write this letter at my office in an empty building, I’m comforted that someday I’ll be able to look out and see a building full of students.
For Parents: you can anticipate that I’ll be sending out communication, via email, weekly or bi-monthly on Monday mornings. Additionally, I would like to hold monthly “Principal Coffees” where we can share important and timely information with you such as registration, student safety, testing, etc. These will happen virtually over Microsoft Teams until we can host them in the building again. You will continue to hear about our goals of helping students feel connected, 100% graduation, and eliminating achievement and opportunity gaps.
We’ve been adapting to information that has been changing quickly. We’re currently adjusting our schedule and programs to accommodate our temporary remote opening, hybrid class schedule, and 100% virtual learning options. You’ll be receiving additional communication from myself or the district office to keep everyone apprised.
I’m grateful that I get to begin this journey with the Interlake community and I look forward to meeting many of you in the days and weeks ahead.
Bret Cochrun Jocelyn Alexander Wilnic Gideon Michael Schiehser
Principal Asstant Principal Assistant Principal Assistant Principal
FIRST DAY OF 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
Thursday, September 3rd
Periods 1-4, Students attend class with educators for online instruction:
- 8:00-8:50am: Period 1 Class
- 9:00-9:50am: Period 2 Class
- 10:00-10:50am: Period 3 Class
- 11:00-11:50am: Period 4 Class
Periods 1-4, students will learn in small groups, have individual time with their teacher, or work independently:
- 12:30-1:10pm: Period 1 Small group, one-on-one support, or independent learning
- 1:15-1:55pm: Period 2 Small group, one-on-one support, or independent learning
- 2:00-2:40pm: Period 3 Small group, one-on-one support, or independent learning
- 2:45-3:25pm: Period 4 Small group, one-on-one support, or independent learning
View our full Temporary Remote Learning Schedule
STUDENT FORMS, INFORMATION AND APPLICATIONS
This year, all forms, information and applications are available online. By making these available online, parents will be able to access the forms and information when it is most convenient for them. It is important that all families use the list of links below to ensure a smooth start to the school year for their student.
- Student Data Verification using ParentVue, available beginning August 19th: https://bsd405.org/ departments/district-technology/online-student-data-verification/
- Student Fees: https://touchbase.bsd405.org/
- Temporary Remote Learning Schedule: https://bsd405.org/planning-for-fall/instructional-models/full- remote-learning/#secondary
- Free/Reduced Lunch Application: https://bsd405.org/services/nutrition-services/free-reduced/
- District Calendar: https://bsd405.org/wp-content/pdf/calendar/2020-2021-family-staff-calendar.pdf
- PTSA membership, Directory forms and Information: https://interlakeptsa.org/join-ptsa
TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS DAYS
We will not host Taking Care of Business days this year. Students can pay fees, deposit money in their lunch account, complete and return all necessary forms online. All new and returning students to IHS will receive their laptops between Tuesday, August 25th and Friday, August 28th. Detailed information will come via email from Jocelyn Alexander, Assistant Principal.
Did you know? Class fees, if applicable, will be automatically updated to student accounts based on their schedules. We encourage families to purchase yearbooks, ASB and PTSA memberships online at touchbase. Families/Students will pay class fees mid-September once schedules are finalized.
SAVE THE DATE: SCHOOL START FAMILIES FORUM HOSTED BY SUPERINTENDENT DURAN
The Bellevue School District is excited to welcome students back for a new school year. Please join Bellevue School District Superintendent Dr. Ivan Duran, Deputy Superintendents Eva Collins and Melissa Devita, and more district leaders as they share updates and answer questions on the plans for our return to school. Join us on Wednesday, August 26 from 4 to 5 p.m.
Submit your questions prior to the event: Use this form to send your questions by Monday, August 24 at 4 p.m.
- When: Wednesday, August 26 from 4 to 5 p.m.
- Where: Microsoft Teams: Watch this live event in Microsoft Teams.
STUDENT COURSE SCHEDULES
The master schedule is currently being rebuilt. All schedules are subject to change. Schedules previously seen will not be the operating schedule for students. An email will be sent out to all families/students when schedules are finalized.
At that point, if you believe your schedule has an error, there will be a link to an electronic Schedule Correction Form.
SCHEDULE CORRECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR CORE CLASSES ONLY. If you are requesting a schedule correction you must meet at least one of the six criteria;
- Incomplete Schedule. 9th and 10th graders must be enrolled in seven classes and 11th and 12th graders must have a minimum of six classes. (Open 1st or 7th period only)
- Seniors missing a course required for graduation
- Prerequisite courses not completed (or previously failed)
- Time conflict with a WANIC course taken at another school
- Scheduled for the same course twice
- Have already taken this class.
Counselors are hard at work with the rebuilding of the master schedule and will be unable to respond to emails about schedules. All corrections will be solely using the electronic form this year. Due to running two master schedules (hybrid and full remote) at once, the movement of classes will prove more challenging this year than most. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding with us in this process. While we wish we could change electives, several are not running this year, so we will be unable to consider elective changes.
INTERLAKE HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS & ACTIVITIES
Sign up for all Athletics and Activities for the 2020-21 school year on the Interlake High School Athletic and Activities page https://bsd405.org/interlake/saints/athletics/
Due to COVID 19, the Fall Athletics season for ALL Fall Sports will begin on March 1st, 2021 with the exception of football beginning on February 17th, 2021. A complete calendar of start and finish dates can be found on our district website here.
All Athletics programs will require all forms to be completed on FinalForms including an up to date physical clearance form and for sports that more physical a concussion protocol ImPACT test. ImPACT testing will resume as soon possible.
NEED TECH SUPPORT?
Students and families can get technology support by phone, email, or in person. Many times restarting a device can solve an issue, but if it doesn’t, consider reaching out for support:
- Parents Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Email: email@example.com
More technology resources can be found on the district website
Laptop Distribution August 25th – 28th 9:00-4:00pm
- Look for a detailed email from Ms. Alexander, Assistant Principal, that will include more information and suggested times organized by last name.
Backpack Distribution August 25-26th
- It’s backpack distribution season once again! Our community partners at Congregations for Kids will be providing us with backpacks through their Good Start Back to School program shortly.
Ms. Forbes, Family Engagement Specialist, will be on site at IHS on August 25th & 26th from 9:00-4:00pm to facilitate distribution of these items
Virtual Student & Parent Orientation for 10th, 11th, & 12th Graders new to IHS Thursday, August 27th
- 11:00am via Microsoft Teams
- A link will be provided a few days in advance
Virtual Freshman Orientation Wednesday, September 2nd
- 8:00am-12pm: All 9th graders
- 9th Grade Parent Orientation 8:15-9:15 am via Microsoft Teams
- Links will be provided a few days in advance
Virtual Curriculum Night (tentative) Thursday, September 24th