Announcement includes Free/Reduced-Price Meal Application Instructions
Due to the expiration of USDA waivers on June 30th, Nutrition Services expects to return to either payment for meals or free/reduced-price meal applications for school meals during the 2022-23 year.
- Meal Prices: Due to rising labor, food and supply costs, we expect the paid meal price set for lunch will increase. Meal price information will be shared once reviewed by the School Board.
- 2022-23 SY School Meal Benefit Application: Available by Aug.15th at www.bsd405.org/freeandreduced
- Applications in multiple languages will be available for download at the web address above.
- Rollover Day: Oct. 17th
- Students who had an eligibility for school meal benefits (free or reduced-price) established during the 2019-20, 2020-21 or 2021-22 SY (NEW) will be able to access meals using their prior year(s) eligibility through the 30th school day (October 13th).
- If a new eligibility for school meal benefits has not been established by the 30th school day, the student’s school meal account will “rollover” to paid on the next meal service day (October 17th).
- With school meals available for free since March 2020, some families may have confusion as to whether their student “officially” qualifies for free or reduced priced meals. Inquiries regarding a student’s official eligibility should be made to Nutrition Services @ 425-456-4507 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Office hours 7-3:30 pm
- Families are responsible for any debts that accumulate on school meal accounts. ▪ Utilizing donations, all previous school meal debts on student accounts have been cleared.
- HB 1865 Hunger Free Student Bill of Rights prohibits school meal programs from denying students access to meals due to their inability to pay for the meal at the time of service.
- 2nd entrees, 2nd meals or a la carte purchases must be paid for by all students at the time of service.
- Reduced Price Eligible Students Eat Free: In April 2021, Washington State passed legislation that will allow all students eligible for reduced priced meals, pre-school to grade 12, to access lunch for free. No co-pay ($.40) will be collected.
- In those schools that offer the program, reduced price eligible students will continue to be able to access Breakfast for free.
- Breakfast for all: Will be available at the following schools at the start of the 2022-23 SY:
- Middle School: Chinook, Highland, Odle, Tillicum & Tyee
- High School: Bellevue, Interlake, Newport & Sammamish
- HS Breakfast Vending Machines: Nutrition Services plans to relaunch, after the start of the school year, machines at Interlake, Newport and Sammamish.