State legislation passed in March 2022 called ‘Move Ahead Washington’ (you can google it) and King County Metro hopped onboard quickly to make sure they could take part. The legislation is a $17 billion transportation package that now will allow Metro to manage free ORCA cards for all youth beginning September 1, 2022 for the next 16 years.
What does this mean for our BSD ORCA cards?
- Our current ORCA cards will no longer ‘belong’ to BSD. They will soon belong to each student, as they will each need to open an account online and register their ORCA cards
- Metro would like students to keep their current cards for use for the 2022-23 school year
Who can get an ORCA card?
- Any student age 13-18 years old
- We will no longer be bound by an eligibility list
Summer Youth Card
- Metro is also offering free ORCA cards for the summer
- Students can apply for one here: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/fares-orca/orca-cards/youth/summer-pass.aspx