Applying to College
College Application Overview
Steps in the College Application Process: Use this form to help you work through the steps in the college application process. Information about how to request transcripts, letters of recommendation, the FERPA waiver, college essays, etc.!
College Planning Resources
Naviance – Our primary college research platform. Students can utilize their career interest and personality survey data to find “good match” schools.
Other Search Engines:
- College Research Worksheet
- NHS College Application Checklist
- College Application Organizer
- Organize Awards and Activities in a Resume
Admissions in Washington:
Requesting a Transcript
Transcripts for College Applications –
- Turn in a signed FERPA Waiver form . All students who wish to release your records including transcripts and recommendations to college(s) must sign and turn in this waiver. Please email the form to counseling secretary, Ms. Mai-Tram Huynh at email@example.com or bring in a paper copy.
- If you are applying to a Common App School, you will also need to complete the FERPA electronically on Common App. Click here for instructions on how to fill out the Common App FERPA and how to match it to your Naviance Account.
Transcripts for Coaches, scholarships, NCAA, etc.
- Please email counseling secretary, Ms. Mai-Tram Huynh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters of Recommendation
Some colleges require letters of recommendation from counselors and/or teachers.
- Please VERIFY which colleges NEED a letter of recommendation before requesting a letter from a teacher
- Letters of Recommendation are more often required for smaller, private colleges, however some public universities also require them
- UW and University of California System do NOT require LORs
Teacher LORs – As soon as you determine that you will need a letter from a teacher, please:
- Talk with a teacher who you feel can write a solid letter for you. ASK the teacher if they are WILLING TO write a letter and WHAT THEY NEED from you to do so. This could be in the spring of 11th grade or the fall of 12th
- ONLY ask 1-2 teachers. Do NOT ask extra teachers
- Consider asking a teacher in the SUBJECT of your intended major
- AFTER the teacher agrees to write your letter, ADD them to NAVIANCE as a recommender
- Be courteous and THANKFUL of the teachers’ time to write for you
Counselor LORs – If you need a LOR from a counselor please follow these steps:
- List your colleges in Naviance and VERIFY that you need a counselor LOR
- Complete the LOR Packet and turn in to the counseling center 3-4 weeks before your FIRST deadline
- MATCH Common App and Naviance – Instruction Video
Financial Aid Resources:
- FAFSA Help – Answers to common FAFSA questions.
- WASFA Help – Apply if undocumented or don’t qualify for federal financial aid due to immigration status.
- Guide to Financial Aid Terms
- Budgeting for College
- How the Average Family Pays for College
- Financial Aid Calculator– Calculates potential awards from the Washington College Grant and Pell Grant Programs.
- Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) – Nonresident tuition savings for Western students.
- WashBoard Scholarship Search
- QuestBridge – High achieving, low income (start process in 11th grade).
- College Board Financial Aid Info
- Washington College Grant– For eligible Washington residents, including undocumented students.
- Bellevue PTSA Scholarships – BSD PTSA Council offers twelve (12) $1000 scholarships to seniors from ea. high school.
- Immigrants Rising – Scholarships and fellowships not requiring proof of citizenship or legal permanent residency.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund – Scholarships & other resources for families.
- College & Career Center
- Applying to College
- Community Service
- Course Registration & Graduation Planning
- Outside Learning
- Running Start & Dual Credit Programs
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Testing — Career & College Prep
- Virtual Wellness Room
- Family Connections Resources