2022 AP Course Exam schedule and test-day instructions
Click here for Schedule & Locations.
Click here for test-day instructions for what to bring, what not to bring.
All students need their student ID at the test.
Doublecheck the location of the test. Many tests ARE NOT at Newport. Students with approved SSD accommodations should look for a message from their counselor regarding test location.
College & Career testing opportunities for Newport students
Bellevue School District sponsors opportunities for students to take a number of career planning, college admissions, and Advanced Placement exams.
- Career interest test are available in Naviance and are included in the High School and Beyond Plan.
- Tests administered during “Super Wednesday” in mid October and SAT School Day for Juniors are free.
- Students pay a fee for each Advanced Placement (AP) exam they take in May. Many colleges will grant course credits to students based on their scores on these exams. (Check with each college for its policy.)
- We offer scholarships for AP exams to students receiving Free & Reduced-Price food supports based on family income.
Advanced Placement Courses
Newport offers dozens of Advanced Placement (AP) courses. These courses offer several advantages:
- Develops the independent study skills that enable students to thrive in rigorous college and on-the-job learning. Rigor is more than difficulty; the concept includes the depth and breadth of information and critical thinking skills to process and assess that information and then apply it to real-world problems.
- Students can enhance their college admissions applications by demonstrating their ability to follow a subject in depth. The choice of the AP courses and the number taken should be considered carefully. Keep these facts in mind:
- It is not the number of courses and exams that sets a student apart. One or two courses demonstrate a student’s intellectual ability to handle college-level material. Highly selective universities look for students who use AP opportunities to delve deeply into a subject that fascinates them. They seek students who use those classroom experiences to ground extra-curricular work, research, etc. in that field. This demonstrates an ability to focus and persevere through difficult material and challenging application of what they learn.
- Grades and AP exam scores matter more than the number of AP courses. Students should plan carefully, considering their academic skills and their outside-school commitments.
- Teachers and Counselors can help students determine a course of study that suits both their interests and their ability to thrive under the academic burden they commit to pursuing. Once a student registers for courses, it is very rarely possible to drop classes if the burden is too great. Help your student choose wisely, perhaps by starting with one or two and taking on more the following year.
AP course exams
Students register for AP course exams through their course teacher during second semester. Families can pay the fees through the district fee portal (Touchbase) or apply for a scholarship.
Taking the course is not required to sit for the exam. To learn more about this option, please visit the College Board website. Likewise, students are not required to take AP tests when they take AP courses.
Example for how to pay for AP exam at Newport HS:
- Log on to the payment site
- Click the box with your students name
- Click on “My school“
- Click on the “Advanced Placement (AP) Test” tab
- Click “buy” next to the items you wish to purchase, i.e. AP Biology, which will add it to your cart
- Click on the cart in the upper right hand corner to checkout and pay