Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th grade students to take college courses at Washington’s 34 community and technical colleges. The added bonus is the cost savings, as students receive both high school and college credit for these classes, thus accelerating their progress through the education system.
Running Start students have the unique opportunity to finish their high school diploma while earning college credit. When the decision is made to become a Running Start student, the student assumes the personal responsibility of making sure they are knowledgeable about state required tests and events at Newport and Bellevue College class registration dates.
Important: Full-time Running Start students must be enrolled in a minimum of 15 college credits.
In order to help you keep up to date with critical Newport information, we have provided the following links to necessary information. Some key points to remember:
- You are responsible for setting up a meeting with your NHS counselor at least 3 days prior to each enrollment period to have your Enrollment Verification Form signed.
- If you are taking classes at both Newport and BC, it is your responsibility to coordinate your BC schedule so that you do not miss Newport classes. Arriving late or leaving early from a Newport class is not an option.
- The Bellevue School District covers the tuition for BC classes up to the state limit of 15 credits. For each additional credit, the student and parent are responsible for the cost of tuition.
- You are required to be present on state testing days for tests that you still need to pass. Please consult with your Newport counselor to get a list of the tests you need and the dates they will be given.
- Bellevue College Running Start
- Running Start Enrollment Forms (Meet with your Newport counselor 3 days before your scheduled registration date)
- Running Start Enrollment Calendar
- Running Start Course Equivalencies
- Is Running Start a Good Fit?
- Running Start Remind Text Parent Group
- Newport Counselor Contacts