History of Equity Work
Equity is a core to our mission in the Bellevue School District. We are dedicated to working closely with the learning community to ensure we meet each students’ individual needs. Our work to create a more equitable and inclusive learning environments began several years ago and continues to be a fundamental commitment.
- In October 2019 the district took a deeper step by engaging a larger part of our community and began establishing an Equity Advisory Group. The families, staff and community members who make up this group guide our critical equity work by providing recommendations to us and this group is still in place advising us.
- The Equity Advisory Group work led to the Equity and Accountability Policy that was adopted by our School Board in June 2019.
This Equity and Accountability Policy includes commitments we work on, including:
- Creating a learning system that meets the needs of and reflects the diversity of our district
- Ensuring all students have access to critical resources and programs
- Eliminating any systemic barriers to student success
- Making certain any student disciplinary actions are undertaken without bias or affecting one group disproportionately
- Having every staff undergo professional development that addresses implicit bias, antidiscrimination, cultural responsiveness, and inclusion
- Creating reporting, investigation, communication and accountability processes to address racism or discriminatory actions. And,
- A promise to foster strong partnerships with diverse groups of parents