September 9, 2020
Translations Available: Click here to link to the school website where you can access the language translation tool on the bottom right of the screen. These Noticias as well as other important communications are posted on the Puesta del Sol website throughout the year where you can have them translated into numerous languages.
In Today’s Noticias:
- Link to Today’s 11:30 AM School-wide Assembly on MS Teams
- Unhealthy Air Quality
- School Construction Update
- Curriculum Night 2020
- 2020-2021 Official Notices
- Student Privacy Laws and Outside Tutoring/Support
- Top 5 BSD Tech Tips
- Online Student Behavioral Expectations
- Free Vaccine Clinic for Kids Age 0-18
- PTA Updates and Information
- Amity Intern Update
School-wide Assembly Today at 11:30 AM on MS Teams: A reminder that we have our Welcome Back Assembly today from 11:30AM-12:00PM. Please click on the link below to attend. The assembly will be a Teams Live! Event. Link:
Unhealthy Air Quality: As of this morning, air quality is still considered unhealthy in most of Bellevue due to smoke from fires across the state. Below are a few tips to limit your exposure and to stay healthy.
LIMIT exposure :
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Avoid exercising outdoors.
- Keep windows and doors closed.
- Avoid vacuuming (as it moves particles around inside).
- Avoid smoking.
- Paper/dust masks do NOT protect your lungs from the smaller particles found in wildfire smoke.
- If you have been prescribed an albuterol inhaler for a lung condition, consider using it as prescribed for any symptoms (cough, shortness of breath, wheezing as examples).
- Increase your fluids by drinking more water.
- More info: https://www.cdc.gov/air/wildfire-smoke/default.htm, https://www.epa.gov, https://www.aap.org, and https://www.airnow.gov
School Construction Update: Many of you know that we have been in process with the relocation of Puesta del Sol to the former Bellewood Elementary School campus on 301 151st Pl NE, Bellevue, WA 98007. We have completed architectural plans to replace the old school building with a modern facility, and permanently move Puesta del Sol to this more central location.
Our hope was to break ground on the building this past spring/early summer and move in for the start of the 2021-2022 school year. However, COVID-19 shutdowns across the region resulted in delays with the Hearing Examiner and the City Council. We now are projecting our move to the new campus to be fall 2022.
A virtual public hearing will be September 10 at 6:00PM. The public may participate in the hearing by either submitting written comments or by joining the hearing remotely to provide oral comments. Submit written comments via email to email@example.com by 3:00PM on Thursday, September 10, 2020.
Click the following link to sign-up to provide oral testimony at the public hearing by 3:00PM on Thursday, September 10: https://bellevuewa.gov/hearing-examiner-public-hearing.
Please stay tuned for updates and more information coming this fall.
Curriculum Night 2020: Please stay tuned for a separate communication coming about information related to this fall’s Curriculum Night. We are finalizing plans for a remote/virtual Curriculum Night, including coordinating dates with feeder schools, and will email you with an update as soon as it is ready.
2020-2021 Official Notices: This year’s Official Notices are available on the BSD website. We ask that you please review each of them, including:
- Notice of Non-Discrimination
- Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Pesticide, Asbestos & Lead
- Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment
- Rights & Responsibilities
- Sexual Harassment
- Truancy Law
- Weapons Policy
Student Privacy Laws and Outside Tutoring/Support: Puesta del Sol staff members have been receiving requests from parents as well as individuals providing tutoring/support that are operating independent learning pods for our students during remote learning.
While we appreciate the multiple efforts parents and families are undertaking to support students, we still must be vigilant in following our policies and procedures, especially those related to health, safety and privacy. We will make some curriculum and learning materials available, but please be mindful that although we are remote, our legal and ethical responsibilities remain. Therefore, staff cannot share details regarding any students, or providing access to Teams classes to any individuals that are not school employees, approved volunteers or service providers. FERPA, Policy 3231 Student Records and Procedure 3231P Student Records oblige all district employees to safeguard student privacy.
Top 5 BSD Tech Tips: Supporting student technology needs during remote learning is important to the Bellevue School District. The following are the top five questions families have and their solutions:
1. What is my ParentVUE activation key?
2. How do I monitor my student’s online behavior?
3. My student’s device is constantly freezing in Teams. What do I do?
4. My student is unable to access content that should be available. What do I do?
5. Where do I find my student’s Teams meeting links?
Online Student Behavioral Expectations: Please ensure that you have a conversation with your student about these expectations. This includes the Student Guidelines for Chats and Direct Calls with Microsoft Teams below. Let’s partner together to ensure our students are set up for success. ¡Gracias!
Free Vaccine Clinic for Kids Age 0-18: If your student needs immunizations, call Eastgate Public Health to sign up for a FREE appointment for Thursday, September 17, 2020 from 1:00-5:00 PM.
- Offering all vaccines required for K-12 students + additional childhood vaccines
- Starting September 3, call (206) 477-8000 to make an appointment for Thursday, September 17
Eastgate Public Health Clinic address:
14350 SE Eastgate Way, Bellevue, WA 98007
PTA Updates and Information: Check out the PTA website for plenty of updates this fall, including New-to-School PTA information, upcoming events and activities, new PTA Board Members (Thank you for your service and leadership!!), and upcoming General PTA Meetings (Next is September 23 at 7:00 PM via Zoom). Click here for more information.
Amity Intern Update: Despite last spring’s announcement that new Visa restrictions would not allow Amity interns to arrive to the US until January, we are committed! We have secured nearly all of our Amity interns for the second half of the school year, and are excited to welcome them to Puesta del Sol! Stay tuned for more information coming this fall.
From Previous Communications
School Meals During Our Remote Start: With the Bellevue School District opening the 2020-21 school year in a remote learning model, we want to ensure that students have access to the nutrition they need to succeed. The Meals2Go program, offered by our Nutrition Services team, is designed to provide a grab and go breakfast and lunch option for families to access for their students.
- Meals will be available for district enrolled students each school day from seven (7) regional locations.
- Due to a change in federal regulations, Nutrition Services is no longer able to continue the practice of offering free meals to all children. Meals accessed through the Meals2Go program will be charged to a student’s school meal account, similar to the traditional school year.
- Families are encouraged to complete an application for free or reduced-price school meals if they are in need of assistance. The 2020-21 application can be found at www.bsd405.org/freeandreduced.
- To minimize interruptions with the instructional day, the pickup times for meals at our regional locations have been shifted to the late afternoon/early evening.
Meals2Go Locations & Times
- Enatai Elementary 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Highland Middle School 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Newport Heights Elementary 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Odle Middle School 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Sammamish High School 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Tillicum Middle School 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Tyee Middle School 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Meals2Go program launched on Wednesday, September 2. Meals picked up on this day are intended for students to enjoy on their first day of school, September 3!
Families will utilize a pre-order form to place an order over the weekend for their student’s needs for the following week. The pre-order form will collect important information such as the student’s name, student ID# and pick up location which will help our curbside lines run quickly and smoothly.
Look for more information regarding the Meals2Go pre-order process on the Bellevue School District website www.bsd405.org the week of August 24.
For more information contact the Nutrition Services Office at 425-456-4507 or firstname.lastname@example.org