2018 Teens’ Top Ten list announced!
Stop by the library and check out the 2018 Teens’ Top Ten books! Click on any title below the slideshow for more details, request a hold, or write a review through Destiny Discover.
- Turtles All the Way Down by John Green. Dutton/Penguin. 9780525555360. High-school junior Aza, who struggles with anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder, reconnects with childhood friend Davis after his billionaire father disappears, on the run from the police. But can Aza and her friends help Davis cope with being parentless when she’s having
trouble managing her own downward-spiraling thoughts?
- One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus. Delacorte/Random House. 9781524714680. After Simon, the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app, dies during detention, the four other students in the room are all framed for murder. But the twist is, the next day, they were all going to be on Simon’s app for secrets that would ruin their lives for good. So when Bronwyn, the Yale-Bound student who never breaks a rule, Addy, the homecoming queen, Nate, the drug dealer, and Cooper the all-star baseball pitcher all come together to find out what really happened, the rest of the story unfolds.
- Warcross by Marie Lu. G. P. Putnam’s Sons/Penguin. 9780399547966.
When bounty hunter and hacker Emika Chen finds herself unexpectedly entered into the exclusive Warcross championship, she is determined to get to the bottom of a dastardly plot while trying to pull off a win in the worldwide virtual reality game.
- Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo. Random House. 9780399549731. Diana has always been an outcast to the Amazons. She never truly had the chance to prove herself worthy of being an Amazon until she saves a mysterious girl from a shipwreck. The girl turns out to be a descendant of Helen of Troy. The girl will either bring an age of peace or a deadly war.
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber. Flatiron. 9781250095251. Everyone has heard rumors of the legendary game of Caraval, and no one wants to experience it’s magic more than Scarlett Dragna. When Scarlett finally gets an invitation, she begins to realize that Caraval isn’t all that she thought. She must be careful to not get swept away in the illusion or risk losing her sister forever.
- Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds. Caitlyn Dlouhy Books/Atheneum Books for Young Readers/Simon & Schuster. 9781481438254. Will’s brother Shawn has been murdered. In this free-verse novel, fifteen-year-old Will steps into an elevator with a gun in the back waistband of his jeans, ready to avenge his brother’s death, as he’s been taught to do. At each stop on the elevator down, someone connected to his brother gets on, giving Will a piece to a bigger story than the one he thinks he knows.
- I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sánchez. Knopf/Random House. 9781524700485. Julia is an outcast in her close-knit Mexican American family, where she dreams of going away to college. When her older sister suddenly dies, Julia begins to piece together her sister’s secret life. As she grieves, Julia embarks on a mission to discover herself, unearthing her family’s past in the process.
- Paper Hearts by Ali Novak. Sourcebooks Fire. 9781492653363.
Felicity’s sister has been missing for years, and Felicity and her mother have been trying to overcome the loss ever since. Felicity thought finding her was impossible until her new friend, Alec, gives her the opportunity she needs to reconnect with her lost sibling.
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. Little, Brown and Company. 9780316341684. Lazlo Strange is an orphan raised by monks, and has dedicated his life to learning. His favorite story is of Weep, the lost fairytale city that was literally removed from memory. This is the story of his search for the magical city
- Once and For All by Sarah Dessen. Viking/Penguin. 9780425290330.
Working with her mom on a wedding planning business, Louna has more than her share on weddings and the behind-the-scene disasters. Ever since the abrupt ending of her first love, she has been more cynical about weddings and especially, love. But maybe that will change when Ambrose comes along.
You can also download the PDF with annotations.