Dear Sammamish Families –
We hope you have been enjoying the warm weather this summer and have had some time to relax, rejuvenate, and be ready for the beginning of the school year. School will begin on Thursday, September 3rd, with students logging in for the remote schedule listed here, under the Secondary Full Remote section. We are looking forward to another great year with your students, at Sammamish, and look forward to welcoming you all back to campus as soon as safely possible!
As a reminder, our school district will continue to utilize the 100% full remote learning model for at least the first six weeks of our school year. After that time our District will re-evaluate the options for allowing students to return to their schools and engage in the hybrid learning model, if their family opted for that for the remainder of first semester.
It has always been our goal that our students would return to school this Fall, as we understand and believe that there is no substitute for in-person learning. It provides essential connections for our students with both the educators who know them well and their classmates. Regrettably, public health does not support the safe return to school, at this time; which is why the Bellevue School District will begin school with remote learning.
Taking Care of Business
In order to prepare for the beginning of the school year and remote learning, our Taking Care of Business Day and action items look different than they have in years past. This information is intended to help our families in completing all the tasks necessary for the start of the 2020/2021 school year.
This message includes important information regarding the following:
- ParentVue (updating/verifying student information)
- Final Forms (registration process for athletics/field trips)
- Laptop Distribution & Student Photo (devices and yearbook photo)
- Incoming 9th & New Students (orientation)
- Business (schedules, fines, school meals, free & reduced lunch, athletics)
Verifying Your Students Information in ParentVUE
The Online Student Data Verification process for the 2020/2021 school year will begin on Wednesday, August 19th, 2020. Parents and guardians can update their student’s information by signing into ParentVUE to update it. Upon logging in, they will be directed to data verification and can update the following items:
- Mailing Address
- Student Demographic Data
- Student Emergency Contacts
- Student Photo/Media Permissions
Not familiar with ParentVUE? Check out our StudentVUE/ParentVUE Information page for helpful tips on how to use the site.
Last year, the Bellevue School District moved to a new online platform (Final Forms) as part of the registration process for all school athletics and activities, including field trips. Additional information about this platform and its implementation is available here. Every year families need to log into Final Forms and complete the information within, for their students to participate in these kinds of activities. Please complete/review each of your students Final Forms profiles, so that when we can resume normal activities again, your student is all set.
Laptop Distribution & Student School Photos
Student Laptop Distribution & School Photos will take place over the course of four days (8/24, 8/25, 8/27 & 8/28) and time windows scheduled based on student grade-level and last name, those schedules are as follows:
|Monday, August 24th
12th Grade (Seniors)
|Tuesday, August 25th
11th Grade (Juniors)
|Student Last Names||Time Window||Student Last Names||Time Window|
|A- De||8:30am – 9:30am||A – Ch||8:30am – 9:30am|
|Df – Ha||9:30am – 10:30am||Ci – F||9:30am – 10:30am|
|Hb – Ma||10:30am – 11:30am||G – La||10:30am – 11:30am|
|Mb – Q||11:30am – 12:30pm||Lb – N||11:30am – 12:30pm|
|R – To||12:30pm – 1:30pm||O – Sl||12:30pm – 1:30pm|
|Tp – Z||1:30pm – 2:30pm||Sm – Z||1:30pm – 2:30pm|
|Thursday, August 27th
10th Grade (Sophomores)
|Friday, August 28th
9th Grade (Freshmen)
|Student Last Names||Time Window||Student Last Names||Time Window|
|A – Che||8:30am – 9:30am||A – C||8:30am – 9:30am|
|Chi – G||9:30am – 10:30am||D – H||9:30am – 10:30am|
|H – Le||10:30am – 11:30am||I – L||10:30am – 11:30am|
|Li – O||11:30am – 12:30pm||M – O||11:30am – 12:30pm|
|P – So||12:30pm – 1:30pm||P – Si||12:30pm – 1:30pm|
|Sp – Z||1:30pm – 2:30pm||Sj – Z||1:30pm – 2:30pm|
We are asking students to do their best to come during their assigned day and window, as we have balanced out these times based on student volume to minimize the amount of time spent waiting in line. However, if you cannot make your assigned window, you are welcome to come during another time.
The entire process for laptop checkout and student photos will take each student about 20 minutes to complete, so please pack your patience as we work through any queuing lines. After checking in and having their temperature taken, students will begin with receiving their laptop at the main doors, outside the SHS Main Office, then as capacity allows will be welcomed into the Cafeteria to sit at a spaced seating assignment and sync their OneDrive & Outlook. After completing this, students will get in line to have their student picture taken in the SHS Main Gym. Families are encouraged to submit their student photo orders online here, to limit the amount of person to person handing off items. If you cannot make your purchase online, Yuen Lui will also be accepting cash and checks, via ordering envelopes, these days. The pricing list is viewable here.
All seating and tables will be disinfected between students and staff members will also be wearing PPE to keep themselves and others safe. For your reference, the process flow map is available here.
Here are a few other reminders about this process:
- A face mask and social distancing are always required, even when standing in line. We will have blue taped markers on the concrete and floors to indicate appropriate spacing.
- Students should be waiting in line and completing this process by themselves. Due to capacity restrictions, parents and other family members must remain in their cars.
- Students should bring a pen or pencil. This will help speed up the process and limit delays caused by having to constantly sanitize these objects.
- Students queuing in line will have their temperature checked and be asked to complete an affidavit affirming their health. The affidavit asks the student whether they have tested positive for COVID-19 and/or have been in close contact with another person that has tested positive for COVID-19 within the past two weeks.
If anyone in your family has COVID-19 symptoms or has had contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 or is still in their isolation period for testing positive for COVID-19, do NOT pick up technology at the scheduled time. Please contact us to make alternate arrangements. Any student who registers a temperature above 100.4 during the temperature check will not be allowed to enter the building. We will make alternate arrangement for these students.
2019/2020 SHS Yearbook Pickup
Most families were able to pickup their students 2019/2020 yearbook on 08/13/2020 & 08/14/2020, when we did a drive-thru distribution for these at the school. If your family was unable to pickup your ordered yearbook on those days, we will have your yearbook available for pickup at the check-in, outside the Main Office, when you arrive. Students must present their ID to collect their yearbook.
Incoming 9th Grade & New Students
For any incoming 9th Graders (Freshmen) or students new to SHS, should watch our Freshmen & New Student Orientation video, also available on our school main webpage.
Miscellaneous Business Items
Any additional items you need to take care of can be handled from the comfort of your own home, online:
- Paying Student Fines/Fees: You can pay most student related fines and fees through our web-portal here. Questions about a fine/fee? Reach out to our School Accountant, Healy.
- Student Schedules: Student schedules will be released and available online through Synergy StudentVUE and ParentVUE portals on Wednesday, September 3rd. These portals will not be available for students and families to access, until that date.
- Viewing Funds for School Meals: Families can add funds to and view their student’s meal account by visiting the PayPAMS site.
- Apply for Free or Reduced Price Meals: Completing the online application here takes only minutes. For more details on this program and additional assistance options families may qualify for, please visit this site or reach out to our Family Support Specialist, Mendoza.
- Athletics at SHS: Visit our SHS Athletics page for more information. For help, please reach out to Tomlinson. New or incoming 9th grade students should also view this message from Mr. Newton, our Athletic & Activities Director.
At this time, we are not issuing Parking Passes or ORCA cards, until we can welcome students back to the campus for in-person classes. More information will be communicated to families as these options become available. For information regarding our parking lot policy Parking page. Students may turn in their paperwork and payment to the School Accountant to get their parking pass.
I am looking forward to a strong start to the 2020/2021 school year for Sammamish High School students and we cannot wait to safely welcome students and families back into our school. My team and I are so excited and grateful to be a part of this great Community!
Wednesday, August 19th: Online Student Information Verification open for families through ParentVUE
Monday, August 24th: 12th Grader (Senior) Laptop Distribution & Student School Photos 8:30am – 2:30pm, by assigned alpha time-window
Tuesday, August 25th: 11th Grader (Junior) Laptop Distribution & Student School Photos 8:30am – 2:30pm, by assigned alpha time-window
Thursday, August 27th: 10th Grader (Sophomore) Laptop Distribution & Student School Photos 8:30am – 2:30pm, by assigned alpha time-window
Friday, August 28th: 9th Grader (Freshman) Laptop Distribution & Student School Photos 8:30am – 2:30pm, by assigned alpha time-window
Thursday, September 3rd: First Day of School (schedule)
Thursday, September 17th: SHS Curriculum Night (Virtual Event) 6:30pm – 8:30pm