Questions about Running Start?
Are you a sophomore or junior student, or parent, who is interested in Running Start classes? Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th grade students to take college courses at Washington’s 34 community and technical colleges. The added bonus is the cost savings, as students receive both high school and college credit for these classes, thus accelerating their progress through the education system.
Running Start students have the unique opportunity to finish their high school diploma while earning college credit. When the decision is made to become a Running Start student, the student assumes the personal responsibility of making sure they are knowledgeable about state required tests and events at Sammamish High School, and Bellevue College class registration dates.
Full-time Running Start students must be enrolled in a minimum of 15 college credits.
In order to help you keep up to date with critical Sammamish information, we have provided the following links to necessary information. Some key points to remember:
- You are responsible for setting up a meeting with your SHS counselor at least 2 weeks prior to each enrollment period to have your Enrollment Verification Form signed.
- If you are taking classes at both Sammamish and BC, it is your responsibility to coordinate your BC schedule so that you do not miss Sammamish classes. Arriving late or leaving early from a Sammamish class is not an option.
- The Bellevue School District covers the tuition for BC classes up to the state limit of 15 credits. For each additional credit, the student and parent are responsible for the cost of tuition.
- You are required to be present on state testing days for tests that you still need to pass. Please consult with your Sammamish counselor to get a list of the tests you need and the dates they will be given.
Sammamish High School Running Start Information Session:
Who: Current 10th and 11th grade students interested in Running Start
Event: Running Start Information Meeting for current 10th & 11th grade students
Location: TEAMS – Recorded meeting
Date: February 1, 2023
Time: 1:30pm – 2:30pm
Description: This TEAMS meeting is for students and families in 10th and 11th grades who are interested in learning more about Running Start at Bellevue College or Lake Washington Institute of Technology, and how to enroll for 2023-2024. We will discuss eligibility, steps, benefits, challenges, policies, and timelines.
Additionally, we strongly recommend that you attend an Information Session at Bellevue College or Lake Washington, with your parent. Please see the relevant website for details. After attending an information session at the college, if you have questions, please reach out to your counselor. (Note: If interested in Fall 2023 at Bellevue College, the application typically opens in February. If interested in Fall 2023 at Lake Washington, the application typically opens in May).
Bellevue College Info Sessions:
Running Start New Student and Parent Information Session Fall 2023 Quarter
These information sessions are for students that are currently a sophomore or junior in high school and a parent/guardian.
Bellevue College Running Fall 2023 Quarter Information Sessions
February 11, 2023 RS Information Sessions at BC Discovery Day.
February 25, 2023 RS Information Session Online Via Teams Live Events
March 11, 2023 RS Information Session Online Via Teams Live Events
March 25, 2023 RS Fall Quarter 2023 Information Session BC Main Campus Building U
April 8, 2023 RS Information Session Online Via Teams Live Events
April 22, 2023 RS Information Sessions at BC Discovery Day.
May 6, 2023 Fall Quarter 2023 Information Session BC Main Campus Building U
- Academic Support
- College Planning
- Graduation Requirements
- Personalized Pathway Requirements
- College & Career Center
- Running Start
- Community Service
- Outside Learning
- Multi-Language Learners
- Course Registration & Graduation Planning
- Request for Credit for Middle School Courses
- PE Credit