Are you a sophomore or junior student, or parent, who is interested in Running Start classes? Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th grade students to take college courses at Washington’s 34 community and technical colleges. The added bonus is the cost savings, as students receive both high school and college credit for these classes, thus accelerating their progress through the education system.
Running Start students have the unique opportunity to finish their high school diploma while earning college credit. When the decision is made to become a Running Start student, the student assumes the personal responsibility of making sure they are knowledgeable about state required tests and events at Sammamish High School, and Bellevue College class registration dates.
We will be hosting a virtual information session Wednesday, February 10, 2021, from 11 am – 11:50 am. Students who are new to Running Start and/or parents are invited to join us for a presentation followed by a question and answer session. We will cover the pros and cons of taking Running Start classes, the steps you need to complete to apply and be accepted into the program and how to register for classes.
Full-time Running Start students must be enrolled in a minimum of 15 college credits.
In order to help you keep up to date with critical Sammamish information, we have provided the following links to necessary information. Some key points to remember:
- You are responsible for setting up a meeting with your SHS counselor at least 2 weeks prior to each enrollment period to have your Enrollment Verification Form signed.
- If you are taking classes at both Sammamish and BC, it is your responsibility to coordinate your BC schedule so that you do not miss Sammamish classes. Arriving late or leaving early from a Sammamish class is not an option.
- The Bellevue School District covers the tuition for BC classes up to the state limit of 15 credits. For each additional credit, the student and parent are responsible for the cost of tuition.
- You are required to be present on state testing days for tests that you still need to pass. Please consult with your Sammamish counselor to get a list of the tests you need and the dates they will be given.
Sammamish High School Running Start Information Session:
February 10, 2021 – Running Start Info Session Recording
- Academic Support
- College Planning
- Graduation Requirements
- College & Career Center
- Running Start
- Community Service
- Outside Learning
- Multi-Language Learners
- Course Registration & Graduation Planning