What is Residency?

State law requires that a student reside within the district boundaries to be eligible for enrollment, or have been approved for an interdistrict transfer. Residency is the physical location where the student spends the majority of their time. This is generally defined as the location where a student spends four nights a week.

Residency Checklist

To verify residency, parents/guardians must provide two of the items listed below (each bullet counts as one item). All addresses on the documents must match the address of your Bellevue School District residence. You will need to present original documents. Copies will be made when you enroll.

  • Government Mail (e.g. vehicle registration, Good to Go! bill, letter from Social Security, immigration, unemployment, health finder exchange, DMV, USPS Change of Address confirmation letter, or election ballot. Correspondence from the Bellevue School District does not qualify as Government Correspondence)
  • Homeowner’s Insurance Policy Declaration
  • Property Tax Bill (must have been received in the mail, not printed off a website)
  • Redacted 1099 or W-2 with social security number and dollar amounts blacked out
  • Unexpired Lease Agreement (must be signed by both parties with 2 months cancelled checks or proof of online banking payment of lease)
  • Two consecutive months of the same utility bill dated within the last 3 months. Accepted utilities include water, sewer, gas, electricity, or garbage (the mailing and service address must be the residence address). Cable, internet and phone bills are not accepted.
  • If you are part of the Washington State Address Confidentiality Program, an official letter from the Address Confidentiality Program stating the attendance area school fulfills the requirement to establish residency in the Bellevue School District. You must submit a renewed letter to the school each year.

Do you have at least two items from the Residency Checklist? If yes, you may go directly to your school for enrollment. Go to the next step and download all of the required forms.

Do you only have one or fewer items? If you are unable to provide the required items you will need to visit the Bellevue School District office for a Residency Agreement or Co-Residency Interview (see below) before you can enroll your student.

Residency Agreement

If you are unable to provide two of the above items, you will need to visit the district’s Student Placement office before enrolling at your school. The Student Placement office will work with you to create a Residency Agreement that will give you extra time (typically about two months) to collect the needed documents.

  • Only one appointment is required for all students living at the same address.
  • Renters must bring a signed lease agreement signed by both parties and proof of paid first month’s rent in the form of cancelled checks or online banking.
  • New Homeowners must bring closing documents including the statutory warranty deed and settlement statement.  Closing documents do not establish residency but may be used to create a Residency Agreement.

Please note, if documents listed in the Residency Agreement are not received within the agreed upon time, the school and/or the Student Placement office will reach out to you.  Failure to provide the documents may result in your student’s withdrawal from school.

Co-Residency Interview

Co-Residency interviews are required for families who are either unable to fulfill the requirements of a Residency Agreement or who are contacted by the District Supervisor of Student Placement. This situation is most often due to shared living arrangements (e.g. renting a room in a house, living with another family, etc.). Please visit the district’s Student Placement office if you need a Co-Residency Interview.

  • The interview will take about 15 minutes.
  • Only one appointment is required for all students living at the same address.
  • Families will complete the Co-Residency Form
  • Families living in a shared home must meet the following requirements:
    • Both the parent and the primary resident/owner must attend the Co-Residency Interview.
    • The parent must provide:
    • The primary resident/owner of the shared home must provide: