Last updated September 22, 2021, 9:58 a.m.
All students, staff and families are expected to wear face coverings consistent with Washington Department of Health and Labor and Industries requirements. The Bellevue School District will post information and signage in our buildings consistent with that expectation.
Will students have to wear masks for the entire time they are at school?
Students are expected to wear face coverings when they are at school. Teachers will provide regular, safe, mask-free time (mask breaks) for students, with a focus on breaks for students in kindergarten through fifth grade.
Are there exceptions to the mask requirement?
Yes. There are exceptions to the mask requirement, they include:
- Babies and toddlers under age 2 should never wear cloth face coverings.
- Anyone with a disability that makes it hard for them to wear or remove a face covering.
- Anyone who is deaf and moves their face and mouth to communicate.
- Anyone who has been advised by a medical professional to not wear a face covering because of personal health issues.
- Anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, or unable to remove the face covering without help.
Are face masks with exhalation valves or vents allowed?
No. The Centers for Disease Control indicates that these masks are not adequate for mitigating the spread of COVID-19 as they allow virus particles to escape.
What kind of face covering should students wear at school?
Face coverings should completely cover the mouth and nose and fit securely on the sides of the face and under the chin. They should be made of two or more layers of tightly woven fabric with ties or straps that go around a person’s head or behind their ears.
Visit the Public Health – Seattle & King County website for more information on face coverings.
- New COVID-19 Dashboard Overview
- Face Coverings
- Physical Distancing in the Classroom
- Hand Washing Procedures
- Cleaning Regimens
- Responding to Cases and Suspected Cases
- Domestic and International Travel
- Free COVID-19 Testing at Bellevue College
- Visitors and Volunteers
- COVID-19 Testing in Bellevue School District