This will be the final Friday Focus Newsletter from Tillicum for the school year. It has been a great year and I am honored to have had the opportunity to serve our wonderful students, to work with such a fabulous and dedicated staff, and appreciate the ongoing support and partnership we receive from our parents and families.
The end of the year signals many changes, such as the amazing group of 8th grade students moving on to high school next year- my how time flies! I want to wish all students and families leaving Tillicum the best in their new schools. I also want to extend sincere thanks and best wishes to our staff members who are leaving Tillicum:
- Victoria Anderson
- Mary Pat Ankerson
- Kimberlee Clark
- Mary Ingraham
- Carol Johnson
- Barb Ghaffari
- David Klock
- Steve Mackie
- Liza Manio
- Sarah Miller
- Simone Neal
- Melody Parker
- Report cards and draft schedules will be received in the mail the first week of July.
- The Friday Focus newsletter will resume in August.
We know how critical the middle school years are for students, and I am looking forward to making next year even more successful. Have a safe and enjoyable summer break!
Back to School at Tillicum
Welcome to our brand new building! We anticipate a “soft” opening the week of August 20, and we have scheduled the following events. Please note that these dates are subject to last minute changes, due the status of the new campus. Please continue to check the TMS website for the most up-to-date information.
6th Grade Orientation will be Thursday, August 23, 9 am – 1 pm.
- 6th graders meet 8th grade WEB leaders, receive a preliminary schedule and tour the building. More info.
Taking Care of Business Day and School Photos will be Friday, Aug. 24, 8am – 2pm
- 7th & 8th graders receive a preliminary schedule and are able to tour the building
- All students will have their photo taken – check the TMS website for a detailed schedule of photo sessions
- All students may purchase a PE uniform, yearbook and ASB membership
First Day of School for all students is Thursday, Aug. 30
- All students receive a final schedule, color-coded according to grade level.
Additional Important Details:
- School hours are 7:45 am – 2:29 pm, and 7:45 am- 1:19 pm on Wednesdays
- Locker assignments & combinations will be distributed the first day of school.
- Class fees will be automatically uploaded to student accounts (if enrolled in the class) in mid-September and can be paid at that time.
Supply List Fall 2018
- 3 ring binder (2 inch)
- Notebook paper
- Dividers (8)
- Spiral notebook
- Pencil pouch: Pencils, erasers, pens, sharpener
- USB drive (labeled with student’s name)
- Colored Pencils
- Washable markers (no permanent)
- Yellow highlighters
- Glue stick (no liquid glue)
- Box of Tissue
All math classes:
- Ti-30 Calculator
- 2 dry erase pens (fine point, low odor)
- Straight edge ruler with both inches and cm
- Graph paper notebooks will be available for purchase in class
Please note: lockers are small and cannot accommodate large backpacks or rolling backpacks.
Scholarships and extra supplies are available upon request.
Interested in playing Sammamish HS soccer?
Sammamish Soccer Boosters is hosting a camp, July 9, 10, & 11th, with two sessions. First session will be for Elementary age kids, and the second session will be for Middle School age students; including incoming freshmen. It is designed to be fun and teach basic soccer skills. Current SHS Coaches and players will run the camp.
Please email SHSSoccerBoosters2018@gmail.com to register
Looking for a fun way to make a difference this summer? Sign up for Sammamish Leads, happening from August 8-16 at Sammamish High School! Leads is available to entering 9-12th graders at Sammamish, Interlake, or Big Picture schools.
Students will use problem-based learning while working alongside industry partners including the Gates Foundation, Integrus Architecture, Foundry 10, and others. Cost is $250 for 7 days, or free (no cost) for students qualifying for free or reduced lunch. Get more information and register at https://bsd405.org/sammamish/about/leads/.
Summer Meal Program
Nutrition Services will be offering the free summer meal program at 2 locations this year: Lake Hills Elementary and Sammamish High School. Children, 18 years and younger, are welcome to visit either site during the meal serving times to receive a complimentary meal.
Meals are available Monday to Friday, breakfast 8:30-9:15 am and Lunch 1:50-12:00 pm. For more information contact Nutrition Services at 425-456-4507.
Bellevue Youth Link Leadership Academy
Each summer, Bellevue Youth Link hosts a week-long youth leadership and community service training from July 23-27 for Bellevue middle and high school students. Students participate in interactive youth leadership training modules designed to prepare students as they develop interests in youth leadership and community service opportunities here in our city or in their respective schools for the upcoming school year. The week consists of a youth leadership orientation and training at city hall, “learning journey” tour of various community organization, participation in a low/high ropes challenge course, project planning exercises, team building activities, and even help out as a group at the Bellevue 6th Street Arts Fair! The week is full of activities, learning, discovery, friendship, and fun! Attached is a copy of the registration info. Registration is now open but spaces are very limited so early registration is highly recommended. For more info about this unique youth leadership training opportunity, please contact me via email or call our office at 425-452-5254. Thank you very much and we look forward to seeing you at the Summer Youth Link Leadership Academy!
Youth Link Program Coordinator
Bellevue Parks & Community Services
2018 Summer Youth Leadership Academy
July 23-27 @ Bellevue City Hall
Register via https://register.bellevuewa.gov/ Course #1803546
Registration opens June 8! Spaces are limited.
Dates & Reminders
- Aug 23: 6th Grade Orientation. More info.
- Aug 24: Taking Care of Business and School Picture Day, 8:00 AM–2:00 PM
- Aug 30: First Day of School!
- Sept. 27: Curriculum Night, 6:30 PM-8:00 PM
Be sure to check the Tillicum website for other important updates!
You can reach classroom teachers and other staff through email. See our Staff Directory.
Our Mission: To provide each student the academic, social-emotional, physical, practical, and critical thinking skills necessary to lead a successful life and become lifetime contributors within the global community.