October 23, 2023
Dear Tillicum Families,
As Bellevue School District considers consolidating a middle school in 2024, all families/community members are invited to attend Community Engagement Forums this week with Tillicum’s forum scheduled for Tuesday October 24th at 6:00 pm in the Tillicum cafe.
The goals for the community listening session are:
- Outline the challenge we are addressing
- Describe the Consolidation Study Process
- Build a shared understanding of the information
- Gather input and questions
- 6:00 – 6:30 p.m. – Welcome and Presentation
- 6:30 – 7:15 p.m. – Small Group Listening Session: The purpose of this session is to listen and learn from families to inform a proposal to the Board by the Superintendent.*
- 7:15 – 7:30 p.m. – Closing Share Out, Thank you and Next Steps
*Optional Sessions for Spanish and Mandarin speaking families.
On Site Childcare available for this event.
Additional information is available on the school district webpage for Middle School Consolidation Study.
Principal – Tillicum Middle School
- 10/23-11/3 Winter 1 Sports and Clubs Registration Window
- 10/24 Middle School Consolidation Community Forum @ 6 pm
- 10/24 TMS Choir MOD Pizza Fundraiser @ Factoria location
- 10/25 Screenagers Under the Influence Movie Showing 7-9 pm @ Bellevue HS
- 11/8 – 21 2023-23 Yearbook sale
- 11/10 Veterans Day – Federal Holiday – no students
- 11/13 Winter 1 Sports and Clubs Begin
- 11/23 & 24 Thanksgiving Holiday – no students
- 11/28 Screenagers Under the Influence Movie Showing 7-9 pm @ Sammamish HS
Please visit our Tillicum website for the most current information. https://bsd405.org/tillicum
Winter 1 Sports & Clubs registration. Winter 1 registration for sports and Jubilee interest groups runs Oct 23 – Nov 3. Students must register using their school network credentials (school email and network password). Register through this link. Some sports/activities have a limited number of participants so students will be selected by a lottery drawing and subsequently informed.
Winter 1 session runs November 13 – January 26
TMS Choir MOD Pizza Fundraiser on Tuesday, October 24th. Help support the TMS Choir as they prepare for their trip to New York! Available at the Factoria MOD location. More information and the in-store flyer can be found here. Use the fundraiser code is MODGIVES20 if you order online through the app or website.
Bus Route Cancellations Oct 23-27. Due to driver shortages, six bus routes district wide are cancelled for the week of 10/23 – 27. For Tillicum, this impacts route 48 serving Forrest Dr, Eastgate, West Lake Sammamish, Newport Shores, & Factoria. If you or someone you know is looking for work, Bellevue Schools is hiring for bus drivers ($35/hr). Apply Here for Bus Drivers Apply Here for Substitute Bus Drivers.
Seattle Seahawks Ticket Raffle. We have a special PRIZE in our Tiger Store that opening on Monday, October 23rd! Students have the CHANCE to win 2 tickets to the Seahawks vs Pittsburgh Steelers game on Sunday, December 31st at 1pm at Lumen Field! This prize was generously donated by Tillicum video teacher Brian Pan (who used to work for the Seahawks). The prize will be in the Tiger Store until December 1st when we hold the drawing for the winner! Each raffle ticket will be 5 Tiger Points and students can put in as many tickets as they have points! We encourage students to check with family to be sure you can attend the game on 12/31 before spending their Tiger Points on raffle tickets.
Screenagers Under the Influence Movie Showing. Bellevue Schools Foundation is sponsoring two different showings of this powerful documentary addressing vaping, drugs, and alcohol in the digital age. Wednesday October 25th at Bellevue High School and then again on Tuesday November 28th at Sammamish High School. This event is designed to enlighten and educate attendees about teenage drug use in the digital age. It is suitable for teenagers and their parents or caretakers.
Doors open at 6:30PM and the film starts at 7:00PM. The event is free but you must RSVP your attendance. https://www.bellevueschoolsfoundation.org/education-connections. We look forward to seeing you there!
Mental Health Services for your child. The UW School Psychology Clinic has mental health services available free of charge and is now accepting referrals providing:
- Counseling services to children 8-18 years old using evidence-based practices, and treat a wide range of childhood disorders and mental health issues (offered starting in January 2024, Monday and Wednesday evenings in-person/virtual/hybrid options)
- Evaluation services to 8–18-year-olds examining cognitive, academic, and socio-emotional/behavioral concerns (offered starting in January 2024, Tuesday or Thursday morning sessions) *It is important to note that our clinic evaluations do not result in diagnoses provided, but rather provide broad cognitive, learning, and social/behavioral profiles.
- Developmental evaluation services for preschool-aged children ages 3-5-year-olds (offered starting in April 2024, Tuesday or Thursday morning sessions)
They will screen and determine the best form of treatment for each individual client and family. Services are provided by school psychology trainees and are all supervised by a licensed clinician/faculty member at the University of Washington.
Parents, guardians, or professionals of potential clients are asked to fill out the Service Request Form on the website. Responses submitted using this form are viewed during regular business hours, and you can typically expect to be contacted by clinic staff within 72 business hours. Recruitment ends mid-November 2023 so sign up today. If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call 206-543-4970. SPC Clinic Flyer.
BSF Ambassador Needed. Are you interested in being an Ambassador for the Bellevue Schools Foundation (BSF)? BSF Ambassadors serve as communication liaisons for our school—re-posting, sharing, and encouraging families to invest in and learn about the amazing programming their students are benefitting from. The role can be fulfilled in no more than an hour a month. For anyone who might be interested in a volunteer role like this, here’s a short video to provide some context. Please contact [email protected] if you are interested.
Costumes on October 31st. With Halloween fast approaching, please know that Bellevue School District’s Student Dress Policy 3224, https://bsd405.org/wp-content/pdf/policy/3224.pdf will remain in effect, promoting an inclusive learning environment. Students are permitted to wear costumes on October 31, and Tillicum Middle School will operate as a typical school day. School Staff will regulate student dress when:
- A health or safety hazard is presented
- Damage to school property will result from the student’s dress, and/or
- A material and substantial disruption of the educational process will result from the student’s dress or appearance (may exist when a student’s conduct is inconsistent with any part of the educational mission/learning of the district).
Examples of student dress that are prohibited include, but are not limited to, what is listed in Student Dress Procedure 3224P: https://bsd405.org/wp-content/pdf/policy/3224P.pdf
Given full-face masks and full-face paint pose a health or safety hazard, and conceal the identity of students – they are not allowed at school at any time, including Spirit Days or Holidays. Weapons (fake or otherwise), blood & gore, or displays or dress featuring references to drug/alcohol are also not permitted. Students are to refrain from dress that mocks/mimics another culture or race as costume.
If students are unsure whether their costume is permitted at school, they are encouraged to ASK a staff member at school BEFORE October 31! Thanks in advance for your understanding, and support of a positive school climate and culture.
Veterans Day Assembly Slide Slow Submissions. Tillicum Middle School’s Veteran’s Day Assembly is coming up on Thursday, November 9th at 10:10am in the school gymnasium. We will be showing a slideshow of all our Veteran loved ones from our Tillicum Community. If you would like your loved one to be showcased in the slideshow, please email [email protected] and include:
- Name of Veteran
- Picture of Veteran (if available)
- Rank, branch of military, years served, etc.
- Relation to Tillicum MS student/staff