Chinese Dual Language Program
What will a Chinese DL student’s schedule look like at Tillicum?
Students will have a full year of elective. Students who are not part of the program receive two electives. For Chinese DL students, one of the electives will be Chinese Language Arts.
Please see below for a sample schedule. The order of the classes is just an example; your student’s schedule may look different than this one.
What is required for Chinese Dual Language Program?
Students will complete the following courses in middle school.
- Honors 6th Grade Social Studies in Chinese; AND
- 6th Grade Chinese Language, Literature and Culture
- Honors 7th Grade Social Studies in Chinese; AND
- 7th Grade Chinese Language, Literature and Culture
- Honors 8th Grade Social Studies in Chinese; AND
- 8th Grade Chinese Language, Literature and Culture
Common Assessment for Language Proficiency
TRC (Text Reading Comprehension)
- Twice a year for each grade
- Middle of the Year (January)
- End of the Year (between late May and early June)
- STAMP4S: 8th Grade Only (end of January or early February)
Students who plan to continue with this program will attend Newport High School. There are two possible tracks depending on student’s language proficiency.
Chinese 5 (AP) -> Chinese 6 (Literature) -> Chinese Ethnic Studies** -> Chinese Academy**
Chinese 4 -> Chinese 5 (AP) -> Chinese Ethnic Studies** -> Chinese Academy**
**Both Chinese Ethnic Studies and Chinese Academy are under development.