Tyee Family Newsletter
Week of May 6, 2019
- 5/6 – 5/10 Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/6 Smarter Balanced Assessments (SBA) Math Grades 6-8 (8:15-9:49AM in first period classes)
- 5/7 SBA Math Grades 6-8 (8:15-10:48AM in first period classes)
- 5/8 8th Grade SBA Make-Ups
- 5/9 7th Grade SBA Make-Ups
- 5/9 Jazz Night 6:00PM
- 5/10 6th Grade SBA Make-Ups
- 6/5 Family University – Save the Date!
Dear Tyee Families,
National Teacher Appreciation Week is celebrated annually in May. It began in 1953 when Eleanor Roosevelt convinced members of Congress to set aside an official date to honor and recognize educators. In 1984, the National Parent Teacher Association designated the entire first week of May as Teacher Appreciation Week.
I am very proud of the teachers we have at Tyee Middle School and I thank them for their endless dedication to educating your children. I hope you will join me in showing them your appreciation. By following the link, http://neatoday.org/national-teacher-appreciation-week-2019/, you can express your gratitude in a very simple, yet meaningful way.
A message regarding Smarter Balanced Assessments went out earlier via ParentVUE/Synergy email. Please take some time to read the information, as our annual state testing begins tomorrow. Information can be found below as well.
Information & Announcements
State testing starts on Monday, May 6 and lasts for 3 weeks. Here are the details:
- Grades 6-8 will take the Math test on Monday 5/6 and Tuesday 5/7
- Grades 6-8 will take the ELA test on Monday 5/13 and Tuesday 5/14
- Grade 8 students will take the Science test during the week of 5/20
- Portions of the ELA and Math test are adaptive and can result in varying amounts of time required to finish the exams each day.
To ensure a successful testing experience, please work with your student and remind them to bring the following:
- A fully charged district issued laptop and charger
Please charge the computers EVERY NIGHT and bring power cords just in case for the remainder of the day.
- Headphones that plug into the computer
To make sure the testing platform is functional there is a headphone test. Bluetooth headphones will not be permitted, and if headphones are unavailable to families, they will be provided.
- A hard copy book or other quiet reading/work material.
After testing, students should be prepared to work on something silently that does not necessitate laptops or any technology. There will be no access to cell phones.
We encourage students to get quality sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, and give their best efforts throughout testing! Thank you for helping your student perform their best.
We also recognize that Ramadan starts in the evening of Sunday, May 5 and ends in the evening of Tuesday, June 4. If your family observes Ramadan, please let your child’s counselor know so that we can find an alternative SBA testing date and/or another location during lunchtime for your child. Thank you.
Dear Tyee families: All the student’s report cards will continue to be in .pdf format. You can download and print them via the ParentVUE portal. If you wish to receive a printed report card you will need to change your paperless settings in the My Account tab in ParentVUE by unchecking the box or completing the form and return it to our school registrar Francia Rodríguez
Please remind students to use crosswalks when walking through neighborhoods to and from school. We have had a couple near misses because students have come from behind cars and drivers did not see them right away. I also ask that drivers use patience and courtesy when dropping off or picking up students.
Tyee PTSA Awards – Nominations due June 5th
It’s that time of the year where Tyee PTSA recognizes those who have made major, positive impacts to our community, and we would like to hear from YOU! Please let us know who you consider to be role models for Tyee students, parents and teachers. You can recognize them by nominating them for the following PTSA Awards:
Recognized at the State PTA Level:
- Golden Acorn: Given to an individual who has given outstanding service to all children in our school community. This individual has not only donated time to volunteer in his/her child’s classes, but whose service went above and beyond.
- Outstanding Educator: Given to an individual who has gone beyond the normal expectations of his/her job to make the learning environment fun, beneficial, and challenging. An Outstanding Educator could be a teacher, assistant, custodian, bus driver, administrator, or a community member.
- Outstanding Advocate: Given to an individual whose continued and dedicated services to ALL children demonstrates the commitment to helping create strong policies relating to health, welfare, safety, and education of children and youth. An Outstanding Advocate could be a PTSA member, teacher, assistant, administrator, or community member.
- Outstanding Student Advocate: Given to a student who has made significant contributions through leadership and service in school and community.
- Honorary Lifetime Membership/Achievement: Given to an individual who has made significant contributions to the development and growth of PTA on a statewide-basis or to the development and growth of the local PTA or council.
Recognized by our Tyee Community:
- The Thunderbird Award: Given to an individual who has demonstrated exceptional commitment to volunteerism which has benefited all children attending Tyee Middle School.
- Unsung Hero: Given to individuals who consistently help our students in small groups or behind the scenes. These individuals may not have a title, but they make a huge difference on the academic and emotional well-being of our students.
You can nominate more than one person per award, and you don’t have to nominate someone for every award. Please explain why you think the person deserves the award. If you are not sure which category to use, just send in the reasons why you think your nominee deserves to be recognized. The Awards committee will carefully review all submissions and determine the final winners. Awards will be presented at the Volunteer Appreciation Coffee on June 13, 8:15 – 10:15 am in the Tyee Library. We hope to see you there. Thank you for helping recognize our educators and volunteers!
Deadline for submission is June 5, 2019.
8th Grade Promotion Ceremony – 6/20
Family and friends of 8th graders are invited attend Tyee’s 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony. The ceremony will be on Thursday, June 20th from 12:20 – 1:50 pm in the Tyee gym. Light refreshments, provided by Tyee PTSA, will be available in the outside undercover court area after the ceremony. Gym doors will open at 11:50 am for families. Reminder that parking will be limited, and side parking along the front of the school will not be permitted. Please do not park at Edgebrook or block driveways in the neighborhood. Carpooling or walking if you live close by is highly suggested.
Back to School Information