K-2 Translated Family Letters:
All kindergarten, first, and second grade students in Bellevue participate in the Second Step Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) curriculum. The Second Step program teaches children important skills for getting along with others and doing well in school. It also helps our school be a safe and supportive place where everyone can learn.
To make our school even more safe and supportive, we are also going to use the Second Step Child Protection Unit. In these lessons, students will learn three types of skills:
- Personal Safety. Students will learn important safety rules, such as safety with guns, sharp tools, and fire, and when riding on wheels or in cars. They will also learn ways to help them decide if something is safe or not.
- Touching Safety. Students will learn about safe, unsafe, and unwanted touches, and rules about touching private body parts. They’ll also learn to say no to unsafe or unwanted touches, and to tell an adult if someone breaks rules about touching private body parts.
- Assertiveness. These lessons will also give students a chance to practice asking an adult for help, telling an adult about an unsafe situation, and being assertive to get out of unsafe situations.
Your child will bring home information to help you understand what he or she is learning about safety at school and to give your child another chance to practice safety skills.
To keep your child safe and protected, everyone at school needs to be involved. So all of our staff have received special training in how to:
- Recognize and report suspected child sexual abuse
- Respond to and support children who have been abused or who are facing other challenges
- Use strategies that promote a safe and supportive school climate
If you have any questions about the Child Protection Unit or the Second Step program, please feel free to contact our Social Emotional Learning Curriculum Developers Randi Peterson (email@example.com) and Wendy Powell (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In addition, you can access more information on what your child will be learning in the Second Step Child Protection Unit at www.secondstep.org. Login with one of the activation keys below to get more information about what your child is learning in the Second Step program. Thank you for helping us make our school a safe and supportive place where everyone can learn.
|Kindergarten||CPUK FAMI LYGK|
|1st Grade||CPU1 FAMI LYG1|
|2nd Grade||CPU2 FAMI LYG2|
If you do not want your child to participate in these lessons, please complete, sign and return the bottom portion of the hyperlinked letters below.
For more information about our school’s child-protection policies and procedures, refer to Bellevue School District policy and procedure 3421 available for view on our district website or contact the school office.