October 25, 2019
Happy Friday Charger Families,
Find below a few timely announcements related to our Cherry Crest Comm(Unity). May you have a wonderful weekend.
Picture Retake Day has been rescheduled. It will not take place on Tuesday as previously communicated so go ahead and let your child wear whatever they want next week. When we have the new date we will let students and families know.
Halloween at Cherry Crest. As October 31st approaches, many of your children may be talking about wearing a costume to school for the upcoming Halloween or Fall Festival Celebrations in their classroom. While each celebration might look a little different depending on the grade level and/or classroom teacher please know that Cherry Crest has consistent expectations in regards to costumes, treats and activities.
- Student costumes are optional and allowed. Costumes may not include any blood, guts, gore, or weapons. Students may not wear a face mask of any kind, but face paint is acceptable. Costumes should not demonstrate cultural appropriation (see below for more details).
- If your child would like to wear a costume to celebrate, the costume should be worn to and from school. It is difficult for us to find adequate changing space and adult help in assisting students with costume apparel.
- Students who arrive at school with a costume that does not meet our requirements, or a costume that detracts from the learning environment, will be asked to call home for a change of clothes.
- Please work with your classroom teacher to determine best treats. It is important to be allergy aware as many of our students have life threatening allergies.
- As per board policy, we may only offer store bought treats (nothing homemade) with ingredients readily available to check for safety of allergies.
- Should you wish for your child not to partake in any classroom Fall Festival/Halloween activities, the school will have an alternate activity available to make sure all students are included on this day. Please email your child’s teacher and Principal Steere (email@example.com) no later than October 29th if this is of interest to you for your child.
- Any parents volunteering or participating in classroom celebrations on October 31st should expect limited to no parking on campus.
- Plan extra time for parking in the neighborhood and walking into school. DO NOT park in any waiting lanes or red stripped fire lanes as doing so creates a nightmare for afternoon pickup.
- Refer to our website for any questions related to Cherry Crest Drop Off and PickUp Procedures. http://www.bsd405.org/cherrycrest/resources/drop-off-pickup/
Cherry Crest PTSA Fall Festival. Friday November 1st. 6 – 8 pm in the Gym. Cherry Crest friends and families! Are you ready with your spooky costume to join us? We’ll have the ever popular Cake Walk, Haunted House, Dance Party, Photo Booth, Games and many more surprises!
We still need:
- Lead volunteers for hallway decoration, photo booth and games Decor, Games, Help sign up.
- Donations for masking tape, flicker lights, black lights, blue tooth speaker(s), 2A and 3A batteries, decorative string door curtains (2-3), artist blue tape and frosted scotch tape. Drop off box located at the lobby starting 10/28.
- Halloween decorations- You can donate or loan us any spooky decorations such as blinking lamps, large spiders, ghosts, haunted mansion décor, masks, etc. Drop off box located at the lobby starting 10/28. Please clearly mark items with names if it should be returned to lender.
- Haunted House parent volunteers to make the haunted house safe and memorable for the kiddos Haunted House Sign Up.
- Actors/ghosts/zombies sign up sheets can be found in different 5th grade classes. 20-min shifts are divided by classes, feel free to sign up with your friends in the respective signup sheet.
Cake drop off box will be placed in the PTSA room on the day of the event.
Look forward to have a blast with spooky fun! Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cherry Crest Volunteer Orientation. As part of Bellevue School District’s family and community engagement efforts this year, all schools are providing Volunteer Orientation sessions. The purpose of this orientation is to provide clear and consistent messaging and support about the role, expectations and benefits of serving as a parent volunteer in our schools. If you plan on volunteering for any reason (in classrooms, at school sponsored events, or as a chaperone for field-trips) at Cherry Crest during the 2019-20 school year, all volunteers should plan to attend a Volunteer Orientation session. Note, this orientation does not supplant the requirement for volunteers to register as a BSD Volunteer and Background Check.
Cherry Crest is holding the following Volunteer Orientation sessions:
- Friday October 25th 11:15 – 12:00 pm
- Tuesday October 29th 5:30 – 6:15 pm
Additional orientation sessions will be scheduled on a periodic basis and communicated to families.
Veterans Day Assembly. On November 6th @ 8:30-9:30 am, we will be conducting our Veteran’s Day Assembly as a whole school. We are extending an invitation to all Cherry Crest family members who have served their countries near or far. We look forward to honoring and appreciating veterans from around the world. Please RSVP by November 1st to Erin Stedman at email@example.com. Thank you!
Cherry Crest Traffic Congestion Got You Down? Cherry Crest is partnering with the City of Bellevue to launch our newest traffic reduction initiative: RideMatching. Here is how it works.
- Principals email a link to Survey Monkey to all parents at their schools.
- Parents interested in finding carpools, walking groups, biking groups, or bus buddies for their students fill out the survey form. The survey does not ask for student names or addresses. Parents are free to provide a close intersection instead of a home address.
- City of Bellevue SchoolPool staff maps the respondents using GIS software and provides schools with email addresses grouped geographically.
- Principals share email addresses in each group with the parents from this group.
- Parents communicate and coordinate their group matching. Once parents have the email addresses of their potential matches, they can email each other and organize groups for transportation to school.
Want to participate? Fill out the survey link here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QJH7YNB