|Good Afternoon Tyee Community:
Welcome back to another great week at Tyee MS — our first full 5-day week in some time now.
As you may hear from your students, we had a little excitement this morning when we lost lights and some electricity around school. Administration promptly notified BSD Facilities and Puget Sound Energy. Thankfully, phones and wi-fi continued to work. Within an hour, lights and power were fully restored. We’re thankful to our students and staff for ensuring everyone was safe, and a big thanks to our teachers who had to be flexible and creative this morning during 1st period.
Hoping you and your family have a fantastic week. As you’ll see below, there are several evening events on the horizon the next 2 weeks at Tyee and BSD high schools. Please be sure to add these to your family calendars!
Byron Lillie, Principal
- January 10: 6th Grade Camp Information Night (6:00pm)
- January 10: Newport HS Information Night (info below)
- January 11: 6th Grade Global Goals Night (6:30pm)
- January 13: Principal’s Coffee #2 “Digital Learning” (9:30am)
- January 16: Martin Luther King Day (no school)
- January 18: Interlake HS Information Night (info below)
- January 19: Tyee Information Night (6:00pm)
- January 20: Tyee Lunar New Year Celebration (7:00pm)
|Tyee: Healthy Return!
||Please reference the illness protocol below to decide whether your child meets the wellness requirements before returning to school. Our current illness protocol states that students with symptoms will need to test for covid before returning to school – a home test is fine. If you need tests, you may request them from us and pick them up at the school. If they test negative, they may return when:
- They have been fever-free for 24 hours without the aid of medicine (if a fever was present)
- All symptoms have improved
- They feel well enough to attend
For more information you may review the symptom flowchart here: COVID-19 Symptom and Exposure Flowchart for Schools and Child Care (wa.gov)
Stay Home When Sick https://bsd405.org/services/health/too-sick-for-school/. Please read on when to keep your child home for illness. If your child has ANY of the listed symptoms, Please Keep Your Child Home.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the reason for the absence and the attendance staff will contact you regarding return to school guidelines. You can review the current guidelines here: COVID-19 Symptom and Exposure Flowchart for Schools and Child Care (wa.gov).
|Tyee 6th Grade Camp Information Night
|Our annual 6th grade camp trip to YMCA Camp Orkila on Orcas Island is back! The overnight field trip is scheduled for Tuesday, May 23 – Friday, May 26. Students will engage in Outdoor Environmental Education and community building with their 6th grade peers. This field trip is for the entire 6th grade class. On Tuesday, January 10 at 6:30 pm in the gym we will present information about the trip and answer questions. Please plan to attend!
Questions? Please contact the Camp Directors: Blaine Craig (email@example.com) and Hailey Gurrad (firstname.lastname@example.org).
|Tyee 6th Grade Global Goals Night Jan. 11
||You are all invited to a very special night of celebration of what our 6th graders at Tyee Middle School have done to change the world. Our students have designed their own projects choosing one of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and raising awareness, gathering donations for an organization working to achieve their chosen Global Goal, or served directly in our community to make a difference in people’s lives or for the health of our planet. We will be presenting them on Wednesday, January 11 from 6:30 to 8:30pm in the Commons at Tyee.
We are thankful to host guest speaker Stephanie Fast, author of the book She is Mine, which details her deeply inspiring story of how she survived abandonment as a child for two years in the Korean countryside. She has now traveled the globe speaking on behalf of the forgotten children of the world, even speaking before the US Congress to help get a law passed in support of these kids. Stephanie has mesmerized our 6th graders and their families twice before with the most and inspiring incredible life story.
|Principal’s Coffee Jan. 13
||Join us for the second Principal’s Coffee event of the year, our theme will be “Digital Learning”, with a specific focus on:
- How to support students at home with online curriculum, textbooks, and assignments
- How to better monitor student laptop use for Learning & Education
- Strategies for reducing overall “screen time”
This event will be hosted in-person, with coffee & tea provided.
If you’re unable to attend this time around, our next Principal’s Coffee will be Friday, February 3rd with a focus on Student Health, Counseling, and Mental Health Services.
|Newport HS: 8th Grade High School Open House Jan. 10
||8th Grade Students & Families: Please join the Newport HS Knights to learn about everything our community has to offer your student & you.
In-person Open House, Tuesday, January 10th
- 6:15-6:30pm Small welcome meet, greet, and info gatherings for select programs, including IEP students, Mandarin & Spanish language programs, multi-language learners
- 6:45-7:05pm Welcome & Program Details, followed by tours and teacher availability for elective courses until 8:10pm
- Newport High School Performing Arts Center, 4333 Factoria Blvd. SE, Bellevue, WA 98006
- Visit our science labs (Marine Biolody, Nanotechnology, etc.), music, computer science, culinary, arts & theater, and many others. Meet students and club officers.
- Learn about our new buildings starting fall 2023
- Any family considering joining the Newport High School community is welcome, especially current 8th graders. Students & family welcome.
- Restricted enrollment due to capacity. Check eligibility here: https://bsd405.org/nhs/about/new/
- Video tours and messages from departments available at https://bsd405.org/nhs/ after January 17, 2023.
|Interlake HS: 8th Grade HS Open House Jan. 18
||8th Grade Students & Families: Interlake High School would like to extend a personal invitation to your family to visit our school on Wednesday, January 18th, 2023 from 6:00 – 8:30 pm. We look forward to meeting you and sharing information about our academic programs and activities. If you need information about Open Enrollment, please see the Bellevue School District website, Family Information Nights
Open House Activities
Advanced Learning Information Session – 6:00- 6:45 pm in the Interlake Theater – The Advanced Learning Program Open House is for prospective BSD students and their parents considering the Interlake Advanced Learning Program. Advanced Learning Coordinator Michael O’Byrne will share information regarding the program in grades 9-12 including the IB Diploma.
International Baccalaureate Program Information Session – 6:00- 6:45 pm in the Interlake Library – IB Coordinator Megan Bennett will share information about the IB Diploma Program with prospective parents and students. Focus will be on the traditional IB Diploma earned in grades 11 and 12.
Drop by information tables in the Commons – 6:00 – 6:55 pm Interlake PTSA and Boosters & Student Clubs and Activities
General Session in the Theater – 7:00 – 7:30 pm Staff, Student and Parent Speakers, then join a group for a tour and class visits
School Tour and Classroom visits – 7:30 – 8:30 pm Visit classrooms meet staff and students. Staff representing core academics such as math, science, English, and social studies will be present along with some of our unique course offerings such as welding technology, woods and construction management, horticulture, music, world language, and computer graphics.
|BSD: Open Transfer Applications
||Both the Open Transfer and Choice School/Program application periods are through January 20, 2023.
- The Arabic Language Program and Puesta del Sol Spanish Immersion Program will accept nonresident entry level applications. The applicants will be placed on a nonresident waitlist for consideration after all resident students have been placed.
- Nonresident students who wish to enroll in BSD’s comprehensive schools may now also submit waitlist applications. Learn more on the Inter District Transferwebpage.
- Siblings of current students are not guaranteed enrollment and must apply.
For more information, please visit:
|Tyee: Information Night Jan. 19
||Join us at Tyee Middle School the evening of Thursday, January 19th for our 2023-24 Information Night event. This event is designed for future Tyee students and families (current 5th grade, and 6th & 7th graders considering/applying for transfers to Tyee). Throughout the evening, guests will learn about our amazing school and the fantastic programs and services students experience.
The event will be hosted from 6:00-8:00 at Tyee Middle School (13630 SE Allen Road, Bellevue, WA 98006). There will be a Welcome Session from 6:00-6:30 in the Gymnasium, followed by Breakout Sessions by topic from 6:30-8:00 in various classrooms. A full agenda will be posted to the Tyee website (www.bsd405.org/tyee) on January 17. For students or families unable to attend, resources will also be posted to our website Friday, January 20.
|Tyee: Lunar New Year Festival Jan. 20
||Tyee PTSA kindly invite all Tyee families to join lunar new year festival on Friday, January 20, 2023 from 7pm to 9:30 pm at Tyee Commons. This will be a big party to celebrate the lunar new year along with other cultural holidays in our Tyee community. We are looking forward to celebrating lunar new year with you.
We have a lot of performance arts such as singing, dancing, instrumental, traditional apparel show, lion dance, student booth, cultural posters, food trucks and more. Please see the next three blurbs for details. More information, please visit the Lunar New Year Webpage.
We would like to extend our thanks to Teng Smiles Orthodontics, High Garden Kitchenand AoPS Bellevue for sponsoring our festival and the consistent support. If you know some local business who would like to sponsor our Lunar New Year Festival, please contact us via email@example.com.
|Tyee: Moving this Winter?
||If you are planning to move and withdraw your student from Tyee, please let us know in advance via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The withdrawal process includes checking for unpaid fees and textbook(s) returns. You can use this link to not be charged a transaction fee. https://wa-bellevue.intouchreceipting.com/
|Tyee: Spring Musical!
||After years of COVID, our musical program, the Annie Cast, is finally back to stage May 18, 19 and 20, 2023! This Spring Musical is a joint production of Tyee PTSA and Newport High School Drama/Theater Tech. The musical is an all-inclusive activity-if you audition-you get a part! Please see the website below for more information! Auditions will start the second week in January, with sign-ups starting the week we return from break! Come join the fun! Any questions? Please reach out to Mrs. Kelly Mechling (email@example.com)
|Tyee: Winter Parking Lot Safety
|School opens at 8:00am. Please drop your student off before 8:20 to ensure they make it to class on-time. The darkness and winter weather has increased traffic, so please leave home a few minutes earlier this season. We are monitoring tardies and will follow up with students and families if assistance is needed. Thank you for your help!
The parking lot surface can be ICY in Winter. Vehicles must stay below 10mph in our parking lot. Use the curb lane ONLY for drop-off and pick-up, it is VERY UNSAFE to stop in the passing lane and ask children to walk between vehicles. Please stop for pedestrians and follow staff direction.
|Tyee: Visiting Campus
||Thank you families and caregivers for supporting a safe and learning-centered environment during the school day.
- All visitors are to check-in at the Main Office. This includes before and after school times.
- Visitors must sign-in at the LobbyGuard vestibule, and wear a visible badge through the day.
- If meeting with a Teacher, an appointment is required. Please e-mail the Teacher to arrange the appointment date/time.
- Please do not drop-off forgotten student items (including laptops, instruments, or school work). We have temporary laptops for students to check-out for the day, and we will help your student with whatever they forgot! We do not have the staff to facilitate deliveries, and it is disruptive to pull students from class.
- Emergency items such as medication, cold weather jackets, or house keys are exceptions
|PTSA: Social Updates
||The Tyee PTSA Social Committee has been hard at work planning several fun evening events for our students. Be on the look out for more information as each date approaches!
- January 20 – Lunar New Year Celebration (7:00-9:30pm)
- March 3 – Glow Dance (7:00-9:00pm)
- April 28 – Beach Party (7:00-9:00pm)
- June 2 – Field Day (4:00-6:30pm)
- June 16 – 8th Grade Party (7:00-9:00pm)
Many families requested additional info about evening clubs offered by Tyee PTSA. For a full list and contact information, please visit: https://tyeeptsa.org/Program