October 9, 2023
Dear Tillicum Families,
Student safety is one of our highest priorities at Tillicum – socially, emotionally, and physically. Our teachers and support staff work hard to provide explicit social emotional instruction, screening, and intervention. In moving about the school, student safety is further reinforced through our common schoolwide behavioral expectations illustrated through the acronym TMS. Specifically Tillicum Tigers:
- Take Responsibility
- Make Good Choices
- Show Respect
Parents are asked to partner with us in promoting physical safety by following our posted Drop-Off and Pick-Up Procedures. In particular, if you drop your child off in the morning before school:
- Follow the indicated drop off route with a RIGHT TURN ONLY after entering the school off 160th AVE SE.
- As you arrive in front of the school, pull all the way forward and have your child exit from the right side of the vehicle.
- The right lane (curb) will always be drop-off and pick-up. The left lane is “thru” traffic.
- NOTE: When entering the school off of 160th, turning left appears to bypass the drop-off line but puts you onto a 1 way road and endangers students when you drop them off in the middle of the parking lot.
- DO NOT pull over or stop on 160th AVE and let your child out of the car to scamper across the street to school. This is incredibly unsafe for students, for you, and for other vehicles. If you are running late, don’t worry. I care a whole lot more about your child arriving safely than I do about them being 2 minutes late to class. If you, as parent, really want to avoid the drop off line, then consider letting your kid out of the vehicle a block or more away from school.
Thank you families for doing your part to help ensure student safety at Tillicum. If you want to be further involved, consider signing up to volunteer 20 minutes of your time in the morning from 7:25 – 7:45 as part of our Safe Arrival For Everyone (SAFE) team. We’ll provide you with a fancy yellow safety vest, clipboard, safety flyers, and some training. You’ll get to welcome students as they are dropped off and help encourage safe dropoff behaviors. Click here to learn more and signup as part of the SAFE team.
Principal – Tillicum Middle School
- 10/13 Teacher Professional Learning Day – no students
- 10/13 Healthy Youth Survey (students in grades 6 & 8)
- 10/20 Picture Retake Day
- 11/8 – 21 2023-23 Yearbook sale
- 11/10 Veterans Day – Federal Holiday – no students
- 11/23 & 24 Thanksgiving Holiday – no students
Please visit our Tillicum website for the most current information. https://bsd405.org/tillicum
No School for students on Friday. October 13th is a Professional Learning Day for all staff in Bellevue and across the state. There is no school for students with class resuming on Monday October 16.
Washington State Healthy Youth Survey. Every other year Washington Students in grades 6,8,10,12 are asked to complete the Healthy Youth Survey to measure health risk behaviors contributing to illness, death and social challenges among young people. The survey is anonymous, and students/families may opt out. This year, we are asking our 6th and 8th grade students to complete the Healthy Youth Survey at home during the non-student day on Friday October 13th. We will provide all students with the online survey link via email on Thursday 10/12 along with direction on how/when to complete the survey. Additional information about the HYS is posted on our website here: https://bsd405.org/2023/10/washington-state-healthy-youth-survey-2023
Picture retake day Friday October 20th. For more information or to order pictures please follow this link: Picture Retake Day.
Yearbook Club. This message is a reminder that students must complete a two-part application to be considered for yearbook club. Signing up in final forms is only the first step, and there are only a limited number of spots. Applications are due October 11 and the first yearbook meeting will be October 17. Over 40 students are signed up in final forms but only 4 applications received as of Friday 10/6. Access the 2023 YearBook Club Application. Please contact Mrs. Chitturi with any questions about the process! [email protected]
Last Chance for 2022-23 Yearbooks. Did you miss getting a yearbook from last school year? We have some remaining yearbooks on sale NOW through October 23. You can purchase one online here or in the office.
This year’s yearbook, for 2023-24, will have three more sales windows including November 8-21.
2024-2025 Applications Now Open for Advanced Learning Services. Applications for Advanced Learning Services for the 2024-2025 school year are open now through October 31 at 4 p.m., for students currently in grades 1 to 11. Visit the Advanced Learning Services webpage to learn more about Advanced Learning Services and to apply for your student. Please note that if your student is currently in the Advanced Learning full-time self-contained program, there is no need to re-apply.