What if my student is sick or late coming to school, or needs to be released early?
Call or email the Attendance Office to report an absence or late arrival. Send a written note when the student returns to school. Parents do not need to e-mail teachers individually to report an absence. The Attendance Office will request homework when a student is absent 3 or more days.
For early release, send a note with student in the morning, indicating the time and your student can be ready and waiting for parent pick-up.
How can I get a message to my student? What about a forgotten lunch or homework?
Call the Main Office to have a message delivered to your student. Bring lunches, instruments, homework, etc. to the main office for delivery to your student. DO NOT call or text your student. School policy requires that student cell phones must be turned off and out of sight during the school day except at lunch in the cafeteria.
What if my child needs medication during the school day?
Students are not permitted to bring medications to school, including over the counter medications. A Medication Authorization Form must be completed by both parents and doctor in order for staff to administer medication during the day. Contact the School Nurse if you have any questions.
What are the options for after school activities and supervision?
Once school is formally dismissed at the end of 7th period, students have the following options:
- Leave school promptly. School buses pick up within 5 minutes of the bell so parents are advised to make sure students know the transportation plan that afternoon before coming to school. Please make sure that students are aware of family plans for their transportation and care after school; a school-bus ride, car pick up, or prior arranged walking path.
- Attend Tutorial from 2:35PM – 3:05PM M/Tu/Th/F – all teachers are in classrooms for Tutorial- an opportunity for students to access additional teacher support. To participate, students must be in the classroom and working with the teacher by the Tutorial Bell or they will be denied an opportunity to participate in any Activities for the afternoon. There is no Tutorial on Wednesday. Following Tutorial, students can leave campus by car pick up or prior arranged walking path. There are no buses after Tutorial.
- Attend Activity from 3:05PM – 4:00PM M/Tu/Th/F – Students must attend Tutorial to go to Activity or ride an Activity Bus. After school activities are available to all Tillicum Middle School students. The list of current Activities are found here. Activity Bus routes may vary from regular PM bus routes; the activity bus makes a general run through Tillicum’s attendance area. Since it does not follow the regular bus route, students may arrive home later than expected.
How do we know what activities are available?
The activity session schedule is posted on the school website. https://bsd405.org/tillicum/tigers/after-school-activities/
Clubs meet from 3:05 pm – 4:00 pm on regularly scheduled meeting days.
What is ASB and why should my student join?
ASB (Associated Student Body) is the student council organization for the school. Students are elected each year by their peers to lead and serve the school community. Along with overseeing our student clubs, ASB is responsible for the planning, implementing, and accounting for all monies associated with all socials, dances, assemblies, and spirit activities.
How can my student purchase lunch?
All students are issued a student identification number that is used as their meal code. This code is to be used when purchasing lunch. Students may make deposits to their meal account at any time during lunch service in the form of cash or a check from a parent.
Parents may monitor their student’s meal account and make deposits to the account using VISA, MasterCard, and Discover Card by using the PAYPAMS service. PAYPAMS can be accessed on line at www.paypams.com.
Where can my student eat lunch?
Students are permitted to eat only in the Commons (cafeteria) or outdoor back patio. In some cases a student may have an assigned lunch detention in a designated classroom. Once students have finished eating, they may remain in the Commons, or go outside for soccer, basketball, or four square. We also issue a limited number of library lunch passes, where students may work quietly on a computer or check out a book. No food or drink is allowed on the turf fields.
How can my student obtain a yearbook?
Yearbooks are pre-sold during four buying windows throughout the school year, including in August and June. Tillicum Middle School’s Yearbook is delivered at the end of the school year, and features student pictures and highlights of activities over the school year. Please note that yearbooks of students with unpaid fines at the end of the year will be held until fines are cleared.
Purchase yearbooks here during one of the following sales windows:
August 28 – September 10, 2023
November 8 – 11, 2023
January 16-29, 2024
June 7 – 20, 2024
What is the policy regarding Cell Phones at Tillicum?
Students are allowed to have personal cell phones at school under the following conditions:
- The cell phone must remain turned OFF, OUT of SIGHT and kept on their person during the school day. Students may use their phone in the cafeteria during lunchtime.
- Students are strongly discouraged from bringing expensive models of cell phones (camera phones, those able to download music) to school. The only secure place for a cell phone is on the owner’s person, NOT kept in lockers or backpacks.
- Tillicum is not responsible for recovery of lost or stolen property.
- Students who have personal cell phones or electronics on or in sight will be subject to disciplinary action. The following will occur for technology violations: 1) First Violation: Phone or music device will be delivered to the main office. Student may pick up at end of school day from an Administrator/Secretary. 2) Second Violation: Phone or music device will be delivered to the main office. Parent will need to pick up the phone/device. 3) Third Violation: Phone or music device will be delivered to the main office. Conference set up with Administrator and Parent for the device to be picked up and disciplinary consequences assigned.