Report an Absence
Attendance Policy Summary
Bellevue High School – How to Report Absences
Report an absence, late arrival or early dismissal:
- Parent emails email@example.com
- Include student name, ID#, date(s) of absence, period(s) missed, and reason for absence.
- If late arrival or early dismissal, include arrival or departure time.
- Send from an email address the school has on file. Other email addresses will not be accepted.
For absences to be excused:
- Excusals must be received no later than 2 days after the date of absence.
- A doctor’s note is required for:
- Absences that are longer than 3 consecutive days
- All medical appointments
- Reason for missing class must meet the guidelines in procedure 3122P. See the table below for some examples:
|Examples of Types of Absences|
|Medical or Dental Appointment||Driver’s Ed|
|Family Emergency (funeral)||Spending class time in school areas such as the library, Commons, or hallways without teacher approval|
|College visits||Leaving campus without approval|
|Religious observances||Errands, shopping, personal grooming|
|Participation in BHS athletics/activity/event||Job interviews|
- For parent-approved activities that are known in advance (i.e., vacation, non-BHS sports, college visits, etc.), a student:
- Picks up a pre-arranged absence form from the attendance office.
- Completes the form, including asking for signatures from parent/guardian, administrator, and teachers.
- Returns the form to the attendance office a minimum of 2 days prior to the intended absence(s).
- Up to 5 days of pre-arranged absences will be excused for each student in the school year. Any additional pre-arranged absence requests will result in unexcused absences.
- Student signs out at the attendance office before leaving school, including during passing times.
- If a student needs to leave during class, the student picks up a yellow release slip from the attendance office before the departure period and gives the slip to the teacher.
- If a student becomes ill while at school, the student reports to the clinic and waits for staff to receive parent approval for early dismissal.
- Parents are discouraged from walking into school for an immediate pick-up unless it is an emergency. Students will not be released for an immediate pick-up during the last 15 minutes of the school day.
- Student signs in at the attendance office before going to class, including during passing times.
- To correct an attendance records error, student asks their teacher to sign an attendance correction form (available in the attendance office). Corrections must be made within 10 days of the error.
- 5 or more tardies in one week or 3 or more tardies to the first period of the day will be assigned a Wednesday Attendance Tutorial from 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
- If a student does not attend their assigned Attendance Tutorial, they will check-in with an administrative team member and have one more opportunity to serve it the following Wednesday.
- If a student fails to attend a second time, they will be assigned a Saturday School. Failure to attend Saturday School will result in an in-school suspension.
If a student is assigned a third Attendance Tutorial in a semester, they will be assigned a Saturday School.