We are excited to provide you with an update regarding the schedule for middle and high schools for the remainder of the year. We would like to highlight some areas that we believe will provide a significant benefit for our students and staff.
- Dedicated time for social emotional learning: Every student will participate in a social emotional lesson taught by a teacher each week. This time is meant to build community, re-establish relationships with educators and provide opportunities for peer connections. Students have been craving these supports for the last year.
- Scheduled intervention and extension blocks for learning every afternoon. Educators provide flexible scheduled intervention time for any students with a D or F, extended learning for any student individually and in small-groups, and/or whole class instruction.
- Remote participation for students with in person instruction activities through concurrent learning. This schedule also limits the need to re-schedule students and teachers to different classes and teachers when students opt to move from remote to virtual for the remainder of the year.
- Minimized opportunity for spread by eliminating in-school lunch for the majority of students.
Secondary Schedule for the Spring, 2021
Please find the modified secondary schedule here for the remainder of the school year through June 22, 2021. This schedule represents countless hours of preparation, design, modification and negotiations. As we transition to the new schedule, we want to emphasize the following:
8:00 a.m. Start Time: Bellevue, Interlake, Newport, Sammamish, Big Picture, International
Week of April 26 – 30
- Beginning of In-Person hybrid schedule (Virtual classes follow the same bell schedule)
Key Information Related to the Schedule
- All students are scheduled into one of the following:
- House A hybrid
- House B Hybrid
- House C Virtual
- Students in House A attend in person Monday and Tuesday each week
- For the first two Wednesdays, (April 28, May 5) House A attends in person
- For the next two Wednesdays, (May 12, May 19) House A attends virtually
- Students in House B attend in person Thursday and Friday each week
- For the first two Wednesdays, (April 28, May 5) House B attends virtually
- For the next two Wednesdays, (May 12, May 19) House B attends in-person
- Students in House C Virtual will continue to attend classes virtually
- For House A and B, the Wednesday schedule will rotate every two weeks for the remainder of the school year
- 8th period is replaced by Community, which will focus on social, emotional learning and connections for students
- Students in remote courses taught by in-person will have the opportunity to participate through concurrent learning.
- In-person sessions are all in the morning
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are 3 hours, 55 minutes
- Wednesdays are 2 hours, 55 minutes
Second Wednesdays are 2 hours 10 minutes
- Afternoon sessions are aligned with current schedule and remain remote
Last 5 minutes of class are dedicated to cleaning.
Concurrent Learning means that learning is designed to be inclusive of real-time opportunities between in-person and remote students in a whole-class and/or small group format. The content of lessons, activities, transitions, preferred use of technology, and the duration of the live-concurrent portion of the class are at the professional discretion of the educator to best meet the needs of their students. At least some portion of daily instruction will occur concurrently, and educators will ensure clear communication with their students about their expectations for this time.
- Bus Routes: Routes for the next phase of in-person return will be posted on the website April 14.
- Student Meals: As we transition our secondary students back to buildings, breakfast and lunch will not be served on campus. Learn More
- Student Technology: With most hybrid students returning to school buildings soon, most in-person tech support will shift back to schools. In the next few days, more information about this change will be posted on our Technology Support for Students and Families page.
- Grades 6-12 Family Survey: We’ve extended the deadline to complete the Grades 6-12 Family Survey to 10:00 PM on Monday, April 5. Learn More