Watch Kindergarten, 6th, and 9th Grade Information Sessions on YouTube.
Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th grade students to take college courses at Washington’s 34 community and technical colleges, including Bellevue College. The added bonus is the cost savings, as students receive both high school and college credit for these classes, thus accelerating their progress through the education system.
When the decision is made to become a Running Start student, the student assumes the personal responsibility of making sure they are knowledgeable about state required tests and events at Big Picture School and Bellevue College class registration dates.
If interested in learning more about Running Start, students and parents/guardians are encouraged to attend an Information Session at BC. For dates, times and locations, go to https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/runningstart/
Key Points for Running Start Students to Remember:
- The student is responsible for setting up a meeting with the high school counselor at least 2 days prior to each enrollment period to have the Enrollment Verification Form signed. To schedule a meeting, email the High School Counseling or Counseling Secretary.
- The student must attend BPS’s daily 3rd period LTI advisory class.
- The student must attend a seven hour, not interrupted, internship on Thursdays.
- Is is the student’s responsibility to coordinate their BC schedule to not miss scheduled BPS classes. Arriving late or leaving early from a BPS class is not an option.
- The Bellevue School District covers the tuition for BC classes up to the state limit of 15 college credits per quarter. Students are responsible for other costs including:
- Tuition for each credit beyond that authorized on the Enrollment Verification Form
- Tuition for any below college-level class (classes numbered under 100 – for example: Math 075-099)
- Textbooks and class fees
- Parking and transportation
- Fee waivers are available for students that qualify. For more information, go to BC’s RS Fee Waiver Petition Instruction Guide
Additional BSD Running Start Resources
- Running Start Academic Equivalency Sheet
- Running Start Art & CTE Equivalency Sheet
- Running Start Information for BSD Students
- Running Start Reminder Letter for BSD Students
- Things to Consider Regarding Running Start While at Big Picture School
Bellevue College Resources:
- Bellevue College Running Start Forms (to access Running Start Enrollment Verification Form)
Big Picture and Running Start School Counselor Presentation: