Welcome New Families!
Important Note: Newport is a closed school. Families must first prove residency & enroll with the district before registering for classes at Newport.
Below are three versions of the Orientation presentation offered in August 2021 to students new to Newport.
- Click here for a PowerPoint file that you can translate automatically.
- Click here for a pdf version of the PowerPoint presentation.
- Below are the key points from the presentation. If you have further questions, use this help grid to find someone to help you.
Welcome to Newport!
- Dion Yahoudy – Principal
- Devin Barrett – Asst Principal
- Harland Warrior – Asst Principal
- Thomas O’Connor – Asst Principal
(Pe – Z)
- Haygen Morton – Asst. Principal Sec.
- Wendy Woodard – Office Manager
- Carolyn Edwards (A – Cr);
- Heather Erickson (Cu – Hu)
- Sierra Suh (Hua – Lim);
- Tania Maxfield (Lin – Pa)
- Karen Schulz (Pe – Tan); Emilie Bosone (Tar – Z)
- Counseling Secretary, Mai-Tram Huynh
- Registrar, Ah-Sim Aldridge
- Nurse, Daphne Tu
- Athletic Director, Jesse Snyder
- Visit the athletics and individual sport’s page on Newport website for Tryout Info.
|Fall Sport||Head Coach||1st Practice
|Cross Country (Boys)||Jonathan Lafler||Aug 23||Aug 22|
|Cross Country (Girls)||Kayla Evans||Aug 23||Aug 22|
|Football||Drew Oliver||Aug 18||Aug 17|
|Golf (Boys)*||Frank Nimmo||Aug 23||Aug 22|
|Soccer (Girls)*||Tina Vincent||Aug 23||Aug 22|
|Swim & Dive (Girls)||Eric Bartleson||Aug 23||Aug 22|
|Tennis (Boys)||Barb Sneckner||Aug 23||Aug 22|
|Volleyball*||Zeke Hsu||Aug 23||Aug 22|
|Water Polo (Boys)||Farrah Kunkel||Aug 23||Aug 22|
|Cheer*^||Jennetta Blake||Spring 2021||Spring 2022|
|Drill*^||Savanah Atabelo||Spring 2021||Spring 2022|
* indicates cut sport
* indicates cut sport
- Welcome Back assembly (first assembly of the year)
- Homecoming assembly (find out the homecoming theme)
- Homecoming dance (informal dance)
- Winterfest assembly
- TOLO dance (typically, girls ask boys- it is the first and only formal dance of the year)
- Springfest assembly (compete against other classes to see who is the most spirited!)
- Farewell assembly (say goodbye to the seniors)
- Theater and Music productions put on by Newport drama and music departments (happen throughout the year)
- Fridays- wear your red and gold!
- Buy your Grad Year spirit gear online (“Class Sweats”). Link available on Taking Care of Business Day
- Great way to get involved and meet new friends!
- Newport has 60+ clubs
- Club list on Newport website and posted outside the Athletic Office
- Club Fair in 3rd week of school.
- Don’t see a club you like? Create your own!
- ASB Office for Club Approval Process
- New Crew is:
- A group of volunteer students who welcome students new to the school and hope to coordinate events throughout the year for transfer students to ask questions and connect
- Matched with a New Crew member
- Will help you adjust to Newport the first couple weeks
- New Crew Tours on Thursday 8/26. 1pm – 3pm.
- Please RSVP via Survey sent to your email
- Important Dates to Know
- 8/25 – Taking Care of Business Day
- Check NHS Website for Grade Level & Alpha Assigned Time
- 8/26 – New Crew Tours
- 1pm – 2pm at NHS
- 9/1 – First Day!
- 9th and 10th grade Orientation
- 9/?? – TBD – Curriculum Night
- 10/03 – 10/07 – Homecoming Week
- Game on 10/08
- Keep an eye out for other events on Student Leadership Social Media, School Posters & Fliers, In-class announcements, and the NHS Website!
Why the PTSA is You!
- Parents and families are a key component of the “P” in the PTSA.
- We need you to join PTSA as either an Individual ($15) or a Family ($25) member.
- We need our parents to make our good school great.
- Family and community engagement is a proven difference between a good and great school.
- All high school students are honorary members. They add the “S” and is why we are a PTSA and not just a PTA. Students are a key part of our association. OUR VISION IS TO MAKE EVERY CHILD’s POTENTIAL A REALITY. It is this vision that has us making significant grants each year to provide a richer learning environment and experiences to our Knights.
- Teachers make up the “T” in our PTSA. At Newport, they take an active role in partnering with families to help our students thrive. Come to our meetings and learn how and why this happens.
Student Support, Awards & Scholarships
- KNIGHT VALOR
- Juniors and Seniors who earn an additional 100 community service hours
- Application due in May each year
- Information supplied in Daily Bulletins and on the PTSA website
- CARLA VENDALAND SCHOLARSHIP
- Available to Seniors who have been awarded Knight Valor
- $1000 scholarship awarded to one male and one female Senior
- BELLEVUE PTSA COUNCIL SCHOLARSHIPS
- Academic Scholarship and Alice Hurd Memorial Scholarship
- Awarded to seniors at six high schools in BSD
- Application deadline in March.
- PTA competition in Visual Arts, Photography, Music Composition, Literature and Film
- NHS deadline for submissions
- GRAD KNIGHT PARTY
- BACCALAUREATE CEREMONY
Community Service Opportunities for Parents & Students
- TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS DAY
- Thursday August 25rd
- Still need volunteers, no experience necessary
- SCHOOL YEAR VOLUNTEERS
- Various days throughout the year
- Handing out schedules, lockers assignments, laptop distribution
- FOOD DONATIONS FOR STAFF APPRECIATION
- Monthly lunches provided for staff
- Staff appreciation week in May
- Need food and water donations through the year
- Help with set up and clean up
Annual Ski Swap
November – Veteran’s Day Weekend
- Veteran’s Day Weekend, four-day event
- 33 years strong
- Consignment sale of ski and snowboard goods
- Supports grants, tutoring, and counseling services
- Several hundred volunteers needed over the 4-day period; great chance to meet people
- Student volunteer earn hours they can apply to community service hours for graduation, Knight Valor and honor society requirements
- Sign ups will be posted in October
Curriculum Night Fundraiser Classroom Bucks
- Additional fundraiser for grants and counseling services
- Donation options:
- When signing up for membership
- Curriculum night
- Anytime via PTSA website
- Tax deductible donation
- Classroom Grants
- For the 2021-2022 school year
- Dozens of individual grants awarded to teachers and staff
- $50,000 budgeted in total grants
- $43,000 to the school for tutoring, counseling & communication support
- Visit the PTSA website for the link to view all the grants awarded
Membership Meetings with Guest Speakers
First Meeting is September 21th AT 7-8 PM in the Library & via Zoom:
- Final budget approval for 2021-2022 YEAR
- Committee and volunteer opportunities
- School year activities
Guest speakers at meetings throughout the year include:
- Principal and vice principals
- District representatives
- BSD Foundation representative
- Students & Teachers
- VISIT OUR QuestionsWEBSITE AT newportptsa.org to join PTSA and check out our calendar and resources for students and parents.
- NO MORE PAPER FORMS –Self register online
- Join PTA, donate to classroom bucks, help with staff appreciation meals
- Enrich your students’ experience, learn about how to help your student reach their potential, and build a community of belonging around your student AND your family.
- Maina Tran & Lily Yin, PTSA Co-Presidents
- Email us at email@example.com or
- Stop by PTSA table on TCOB day and Curriculum Night
- Join us for a Potluck Picnic at Lake Sammamish State Park on Sunday, August 29th starting at 1 pm. Visit NHS and/or PTSA Website for Details and to RSVP by 8/27.
- Attend our membership meetings