International School Lottery
Lottery applications for incoming incoming 6th grade (current 5th grade) students for the 2022-23 school year will be accepted beginning Monday, December 6, 2021. The application period will close Friday January 7, 2022 at 4:30 pm. After the close of the application period incoming 6th grade (current 5th grade) students that missed the application period may submit a waitlist application to be added to the bottom of a waitlist.
Siblings of current International School students must apply by January 7 @ 4:30pm to be enrolled in Autumn 2022.
For more information, visit: https://bsd405.org/departments/student-placement/apply-choice-schools-programs/
BSD Signs of Suicide (SOS) Parent Discussion Series
This important community session will take place on Wednesday, December 8, starting at 6:00pm. Due to space capacity, families will be required to pre-register for the event.
Signs of Suicide (SOS) Parent Discussion Session
Due to overwhelming community request, the Family Engagement office in partnership with BSD Counseling, Mental Health Assistance Teams and community mental-health partners will offer families an additional opportunity to support the well-being of their students. This in-person Community Mental Health Forum will center on a discussion about the Signs of Suicide, or SOS.
Thank you to all who joined us for International School’s information night for families about our Signs of Suicide program. Please visit our Parent Nights webpage for the recording and resources: https://bsd405.org/international/counseling/parentnights/
BSD K-12 Multilingual Learners Family Information Night
Please join us for a live virtual event to learn about the MLL program.
When: Monday, November 15, 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Where: Microsoft Teams | Live Event Link
During this live event, families will:
- Learn about how students are supported through the MLL model
- Learn about the new WIDA ELD Standard Framework and assessments
- Learn about the K-7 math curriculum adoption
- Learn about resources to help your child at home
- Learn about school and community services
Following the presentation, staff will reserve time to answer questions from families. The session will be recorded for families that cannot join the live event.
A few thoughts/observations on traffic:
- We are grateful for the City of Bellevue to partner with us to extend the length of the signal between SE 7th Place and Lake Hills. This is helping the length of the backup at this location.
- Some general reminders:
- During drop off and pick up times, TURN RIGHT out of the school to exit. Turning left causes a brief backup.
- When dropping off or picking up, drive as far forward as possible if there is open space rather than stopping at the front door. It is best to pull all the way up to the speed bump. This moves the whole line of traffic forward and allows us to bring more cars off the public road.
- We have complaints from the neighbors about our families using the public street and nearby cul-de-sacs for this purpose. We need to be respectful of our community. Especially important is to not use the local cul-de-sacs as this blocks their access and creates a dangerous situation.
- When directing traffic, we do prioritize access for school buses.
- Pulling into one of the visitor spots is tempting, but backing out forces all traffic to stop. If we are out there, we will likely ask you to be patient and wait for a natural gap as our priority will be moving the traffic in the circle as well as the school buses.
- Wednesday afternoons are the worst. Contributing to this is the fact there is no tutorial, forcing everyone to arrive at the same time.
Generally, we are thankful for everyone’s patience as we are doing what we can to speed the process. Thank you for the smiles and waves!
Register for Winter Sports
Registration for high school winter sports is open. Winter tryouts and practices start November 15 for all sports. Visit the district’s Athletics in High School webpage for requirements, registration and contact information. Specific details for individual schools can be found on each school’s Athletics webpage.
Next Principal Coffee
I apologize for the confusion around the November Principal Coffee. First, I could not create a TEAMS event to share. Then, I quickly changed the date…only to be informed that I created a conflict with the PTSA Middle School Parent Meet Up. I will try again for Tuesday, November 23 from 9:00 – 10:00.