For the graduation ceremony, the complete attire for graduates is a cap, gown, stole & tassel. Families can either order the entire ensemble or pieces of it, if they have other items from a previous SHS graduate; so long as the student ends up with a complete ensemble for the ceremony. Orders can be placed online through the Jostens website or packets are available in the Main Office. All orders placed after 04/15/2020 will be shipped to your home address. If your family requires assistance in obtaining any of the items needed for graduation, due to a financial need or hardship, please reach out to the school’s Counseling Secretary, Adriana Maldonado Ruiz (firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-456-7621) for help.
Seniors are allowed to decorate their caps for graduation, but must follow the guidelines for decoration.
Honor Cords & Eligibility Requirements:
Sammamish High School provides honor cord distinction for students achieving any of the three following accomplishments: Completing 200+ community service hours, being a member of National Honors Society in good standing, & Maintaining a Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better for their high school career. Our 4.0 cumulative GPA students will receive recognition and a medal at the graduation ceremony. Here are the requirements to achieve each distinction:
- 200+ Community Service Hours (Red & White Honor Cord): This distinction is given to students having completed 200 or more standalone hours of community service, during their time in high school, and is a celebration of students demonstrating extraordinary commitment in service to their community. These hours must be separate from any hours attributing to another distinction, such as National Honors Society, but may include the 40 hours required for graduation. All hours must be entered, approved & verified in Naviance no later than May 31, 2020, to qualify for this distinction.
- National Honors Society (Gold): Members of National Honors Society (NHS) demonstrate outstanding character, leadership, service, and academics. Students must earn a cumulative GPA of 3.65 or higher and meet community service requirements to qualify. Eligibility for this distinction is communicated and determined by the NHS Advisor, Ms. Youmans.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or Better (Platinum): Students achieving this distinction will have achieved this by maintaining a GPA of 3.5 or more during their entire secondary education. 4.0 students are also eligible to receive this cord.
- Cumulative GPA of 4.0 (Medal): Students having maintained a 4.0 cumulative GPA, throughout their entire secondary education, will receive this award. Medals will be presented to eligible students at the graduation ceremony, by Administration.
Any students with questions regarding their eligibility for any of these distinctions should reach out to their counselor for more information.
Graduation Day Details:
SHS Senior Graduation will be held on Tuesday, June 16th, beginning at 2:00pm in the Alaska Airlines Hec Edmundson Pavilion, on the Seattle University of Washington campus. The following is information to know for the 16th.
Senior Breakfast (06/15/2020):
The SHS PTA will be hosting a breakfast for our Senior students in the SHS Commons on Monday, June 15th, 9:00am – 10:00am. This is a great opportunity for Seniors to organize and get some fuel for their busy day.
[MANDATORY FOR ALL GRADUATES] Senior Graduation Rehearsal (06/15/2020):
All SHS graduates wanting to participate in the Graduation Events on Tuesday, June 16th, are required to attend the rehearsal, which will be on Monday, June 15th, beginning at 10:00am sharp… Do not be late! This will be a chance for our Seniors to learn more about the expectations for the event, practice their ceremony, and get lined up. Rehearsal begins with a Graduation Orientation in the SHS Performing Arts Theater at 10:00am and then will progress to rehearsal in the SHS Main Gym, ending around 12:00pm. Once rehearsal is complete, graduates are released for the day.
Graduation Ceremony @ Hec Edmundson Pavilion:
Alaska Airlines Hec Edmundson Pavilion is located of Montlake Blvd at: 3870 Montlake Blvd NE, Seattle, WA 98105.
Student Arrival & Check-In (By 1:00pm)
SHS Seniors are required to check-in for graduation at the southeast entrance of Hec Ed (pictured below), at 1:00pm. Please give yourselves plenty of time to get parked and to the site.
Secure storage for personal items (bags, purses, backpacks, etc) is not available for graduates at this site. Please make arrangements with your families to carry these items in for you.
Paid parking for $10.00/vehicle will be available on the University of Washington campus for this event. Please reach out to Ms. Taniguchi (email@example.com) or your Counselor, if paid parking poses a financial hardship for you or your family and we will do our best to help accommodate your needs.
SHS Families should plan to park in the E1 Parking Lot, located to the north of Hec Ed. There are other lots available for use, as well. Please look at the UW Parking Map for reference, below are the details for the available lots in the area:
- E1 Parking Lot [Primary Parking Lot to Use]: Located to the north of Hec Ed, this is a visitor self-serve parking lot with meters that take Visa, MasterCard, & Discover cards.
- E18 Parking Lot: Located to the north of Hec Ed and south of E1, this parking lot requires visitors to purchase a parking pass at one of the Campuses Gatehouses. Passes cannot be purchased at the lot. The closest Gatehouse is the East (Pend Orielle) Gatehouse (shown on the parking map).
- Padelford Parking Garage: Located west of Montlake Blvd & Hec Ed, the Padelford Parking Garage has visitor, ADA, and motorcycle parking on levels N18 – N21. This lot requires the purchase of a Gatehouse parking pass and the closest Gatehouse is the East (Pend Orielle) Gatehouse (shown on the parking map). After 4:00pm, parking for this garage typically reduces to $5.00/vehicle. Once parked here, take the overpass bridge to the east-side of Montlake Blvd and continue south to Hec Ed.
- E97/E98 Parking Lot: This is a small lot, just north of Hec Ed, located in front of Graves Hall. It has metered visitor parking and ADA stalls available.
- E17 Parking Lot: This is another small lot, located to the south of Hec Ed. It has metered visitor parking and additional ADA stalls available.
Ceremony (Doors @ 1:30pm | Start @ 2:00pm)
Graduation Attendees will be welcomed into the Hec Edmundson Pavillion through the northwest entrance of the facility (pictured below), beginning at 1:30pm.
Please remember that all attendees must have their ticket in hand to enter the event. For information on graduation tickets and pickup, please go here.
The Graduation Ceremony and Processional will begin promptly at 2:00pm. Please plan your trip to make sure you arrive with plenty of time to get parked and into the facility. Newport High School is completing their Graduation at the same site, before SHS, so parking and traffic may be heavier than typically expected.
The ceremony is expected to last about an hour and a half.
After Ceremony (3:30PM):
Attendees may exit the facility through the southwest doors of the facility (pictured below) and may meet their graduates in the south pavilion there.
SHS Graduates participating in the SHS PTA GradNight Party will return later in the evening to Sammamish High School and board buses for the GradNight Party there. For more details on and registration for GradNight, visit this site.