Mental Health Supports
Did you know we have mental health supports in place for students, as well as some supports directed toward parents? Below is a list of what is currently available. Please also reach out to your student’s counselor if you have questions or concerns.
Sammamish High School BHSS: Sam Sturgeon is a mental health professional with Youth Eastside Services (YES) and SHS. If you are experiencing symptoms of stress, anxiety, sadness, or loneliness we encourage you to reach out.
Sam is available for check-ins and referrals. Please check out the options below and decide what might be right for you.
Sam has Zoom office hours every Tuesday and Thursday from 12 pm to 1 pm
Outside Therapist Referrals: SHS partners with outside agency therapists and can do referrals for YES, Sound, and SeaMar. Individual counselors can be contacted for this.
IN-PERSON MENTAL HEALTH/COUNSELING SUPPORT: BSD is pleased to provide drop-in, in-person counseling support for middle and high school students during this period of quarantine and continued remote learning.
Where: HIGHLAND MIDDLE SCHOOL
When: TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS
Time: 12-4 P.M. (Drop in. No appointment necessary.)
BSD Wellness and Resiliency Group: Sponsored by the Mental Health Assistance Team (MHAT).
Build your resilience tool kit:
Increase your focus & awareness
Manage strong emotions
Cope with stress and adversity
Cultivate positive emotions
Build and maintain healthy relationships
Join on Teams Mondays, 12-1 pm (11/30, 12/7 & 12/14). Click Here to Sign Up
BSD Mental Health Forums: In partnership with the district counseling program, social-emotional curriculum developers, family engagement team and community mental health partners, the district is developing another series of forums to inform, support and empower families on issues surrounding mental health. All sessions will be conducted over Teams and will be recorded. (https://bsd405.org/2020/11/upcoming-mental-health-forums/)
Relaxation Strategies to Support Students and Adults During Stressful Times (General Session)
Wednesday, January 13 from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Counseling & Health Resources
- Naviance Link for Students
- College Board (PSAT, SAT, AP)
- College Board (SAT Test Dates)
- Search for AP Credit Policies at U.S. Colleges
- ACT (PLAN, ACT, Discover)
- ACT Test Dates
- Common Application (For many private colleges & universities)
- Coalition Application (For some private and public colleges & universities, including University of Washington)
- Western Undergraduate Exchange (attend an out of state college for less money)
- Washington State Colleges and Universities
- Bellevue College
- Bellevue College 2 Year Transfer Program
- Lake Washington Technical College
- Unigo (College Reviews by College Students)
- U.S. Department of Education (why and how to get into college and pay for it)