Financial Aid Advising Week, October 11-15:
Free Webinar Event – Save Thousands on the Cost of College: October 12, 2021, 7:00pm – 8:00pm
Join College Financial Planning Advisor Peg Keough as she demystifies the college funding process. Peg has worked with hundreds of families just like you and helped them realize significant discounts on the cost of college. This webinar is recommended for parents of 9th through 12th graders.
In this webinar you will discover:
- How colleges calculate how much they think you can afford to pay for one year of college
- How colleges are discounting the cost of attendance (“sticker price”), many times by $10,000 or more per year, AND how YOU can get these discounts
- What unique planning opportunities your family can capitalize on to capture these discounts
- How to estimate your net cost for your child’s favorite colleges
- What’s included on financial aid forms and how they are used by colleges
Letter of Recommendation Packet for Counselors:
For any seniors who need a letter of recommendation from their school counselor, please complete the Counselor Letter of Rec Packet 2021-22 packet (“Brag Packet”), and return it/e-mail it to your school counselor.
Video of Coalition Application Support by University of WA (May 25, 2021):
Staff from UW presented tips on completing the Coalition Application. Click this link to view: Coalition Application Video
BSD Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Waiver:
This year, the Bellevue School District requires all seniors to complete the BSD Ferpa Waiver Form in order to send official high school transcripts to colleges.
Use this Senior Checklist to help guide you in your college application process during your senior year.
SHS School Profile
Want to know more about SHS? The SHS School Profile 21-22 is automatically sent to all colleges that you request a transcript be sent to.
Did you miss the Junior Town Hall meeting? You can find the YouTube link and PowerPoint here.
Student athletes need to register with the NCAA and submit transcript waivers to the counseling office. Please bring in two copies of the signed waiver along with two envelopes with postage & addressed to the NCAA Clearing House – one copy for the beginning of the year & the 2nd copy for the end of the year.
Counselors periodically present lessons for each grade level in the classroom. Below are the most current lessons for the year.
12th Grade Senior Blitz Presentation: 12th Grade Senior Guidance SY21-22 FINAL.pptx
Counselors and faculty use the Naviance program to provide resources, tools and information to guide students through the college application process. This program allows students to define their strengths and post-secondary interests, search a comprehensive database of colleges and scholarships and track their college application process. Below are some additional resources to aid in the application process.
How do students access Naviance?
Students and families can access Naviance by navigating to: https://student.naviance.com/sammamish.
- Locate your school using the “Search for a School” tool.
- Students sign in by using the “Login with Clever” button.
When asked, students will need to use the “Log in with Active Directory” button. The email and password are the student’s regular BSD email and password.
Naviance can help students to:
- Create a four-year plan
- Explore careers
- Identify personality and learning styles
- Research colleges
- Prepare for SAT and ACT
- Receive notifications and emails from counselors
- Learn about acceptance rates with Scattergrams
- Research scholarships
- Work on their resume
- Academic Support
- College Planning
- Graduation Requirements
- College & Career Center
- Running Start
- Community Service
- Outside Learning
- Multi-Language Learners
- Course Registration & Graduation Planning