K-12 Computer Science
- All students at all schools receiving a high quality computer science education beginning in Kindergarten and extending through 12th grade.
- Strategies to intentionally engage females and students of color in computer science.
- Inclusion of students in special education.
- Student success with 21st century skills: critical thinking, collaboration, computational thinking, communication, and creativity.
- Providing all students with an exemplary college preparatory education so they can succeed in college, career, and life.
Computer Science Education Week is a global movement reaching tens of millions of students in 180+ countries. All BSD elementary and middle schools plan to participate in the worldwide event. Learn more…
Why Computer Science?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, projections for job openings and replacements in computing jobs is 1,366,200 jobs from 2010 – 2020. Projections for all other STEM jobs combined (engineering, life sciences, physical sciences, social sciences) is 908,700 jobs over the same period. This is a 60:40 ratio of jobs in Computing vs the rest of STEM. Learn more…
- To help shape the future of coding and computational thinking for our Bellevue students, some teachers across the district are participating in a pilot.
- Ongoing professional development for pilot teachers is focused on strategies for teaching CS, curriculum resources, and computational thinking.
- Pilot of integrated computer science learning experiences in science using Code.org course and Scratch.
- Code.org CS Discoveries (pilot in Digital Tech CTE course)
- Python based Career and Technical Education courses: Python 101 and Pyton 1012 (TechSmartKids)
- CTE courses include: Project Lead the Way, engineering, robotics and flight and space.
- AP Computer Science offered at all comprehensive high schools, as well as at International School.
Sample of High School CS offerings:
|Advanced CISCO CCNP|
|Advanced CISCO Cybersecurity|
|Coding in Python 1 & 2|
|Introduction to Mobile Application Development|
|Video Game and Simulation Design|
|AP Computer Science|
|Special Topics in Computer Science|