Equity Advisory Group
The Equity Advisory Group will help the district to engage a diverse breadth of voices from among our community to better understand the unique and shared student needs across our district and to ensure those needs are being addressed in both policy and in the way we do our work every day. The formation of this group affirms the district’s commitment to provide a positive and supportive learning environment, meeting the needs of each and every student through individualized and innovative supports and services.
The first task of the Equity Advisory Group will be to provide input to our School Board about our district policies and how they are showing up in our day-to-day practices in our schools, offices, and other locations. We will consider the practices of other school districts, specifically policies and current educational practices that enhance or limit student success, academically, socially, and emotionally; consider current district policies in relation to the goals of the Strategic Plan; and make recommendations to align district practices with those goals to maximize a positive educational experience for all students.
Subsequent tasks will involve looking deeply into how the strategic plan is being enacted and how it is serving each and every student in the district.
- Huaxia Zhao, at large parent
- Keri Dutton, at large parent
- Pia Dey, at large parent
- Jennifer Hodges, at large parent
- Elaine Acacio, City of Bellevue
- Paul Sutton, External Expert
- Miriam Lara, NISO (Latino Parent Advocacy Group)
- Alma Gonzalez, NISO (Latino Parent Advocacy Group)
- Susie Pietz, Special Needs PTA
- Monica Webster, Parent Alliance of Black Scholars (PABS)
- Haruka Kojima, Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (APIA)
- Maina Train, PTSA Council
- Lynn Juniel, Bellevue Schools Foundation
- Stephanie Cherrington, Eastside Pathways
- Chhoun Mey, School Admin – Elementary
- LeAnn Tuupo, School Admin – Middle
- Myra Arnone, School Admin – High
- Ana Garcia, Educator – Elementary
- Maria Ocampo, Educator – Middle
- Jill Rock, Educator – Middle
- Ivan Duran, Group Advisor
- John Harrison, Group Advisor
- Shomari Jones, Group Advisor
- Pat Hughes, Group Facilitator
Expectations for Members:
- Attendance at all meetings.
- Open minded and willing to hear diverse perspectives.
- Commitment to both share information with and gather information from different groups within our larger school community.
- Willing to do some work outside of the meeting to enhance the overall learning of the group.
- Other expectations will be determined by the group.
Initial Proposed Outcomes:
- A framework for identifying polices that may require revision that actively support each and every student to achieve success.
- Identification of current district policies in need of revision to better serve each and every student.
- Recommendation on the creation of a new policy or the revision of current polices to affirm each and every student.
- Recommendations on how District academic and organizational services and programs may be better aligned, enhanced, or added to better meet the needs of all students.
Initial Meeting Schedule
Meetings are scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. on the dates listed below. Food will be served beginning at 5:30 p.m. Child care and translation will be provided if needed.
Learning and Team Building
Student Panels, Initial Policy Review:
Initial Board Recommendations:
- Jan. 9, 2019
- Jan. 15, 2019 – Advisory Group presents preliminary findings/recommendations to the board of directors.
- Jan. 29, 2019
- Feb. 4, 2019
- Feb. 12, 2019 – Advisory Group shares findings/recommendations with the board of directors.
- Feb. 27, 2019 – Recognition and Celebration Event for Advisory Group
Meetings for the remainder of the 2018-19 school year will be determined by the advisory group members by the end of the Jan. 29 meeting.