The Bellevue School District family is heartbroken hearing the news of our two students who are currently being treated at the hospital for an accidental overdose of fentanyl yesterday. What makes this even more concerning is that it is believed that the fentanyl poisoning came from fentanyl-laced vape pens. Vaping itself is a health crisis facing our schools and our young people today. I encourage all families to talk with their children about the danger of fentanyl and vaping. I talked with my own high school daughter this morning on the way to school. Most mistakes kids make when they’re young come with reasonable consequences; mistakes involving fentanyl can have devastating impact. I encourage families to learn more about the risks of fentanyl, how to access free Narcan as a life-saving treatment, and to have conversations with their children. Useful information for families in King County can be found at https://talkevenif.com/. To access free Narcan, which we have at every middle and high school in Bellevue and which I recommend every family of a teenager acquires, visit www.stopoverdose.org. This is a sobering yet critical reminder for kids and families, as we close out the school year and head into a summer of rest and fun.
Dr. Kelly Aramaki
Bellevue School District