Middle School Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Curriculum Adoption Committee
BSD has a strong commitment to supporting Well-Being for all our students. This includes supporting their social, emotional, and mental health growth. We are at the stage when we need to review new and updated curriculum materials to determine what will be best for our students.
The Adoption Committee offers a unique opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of our middle schoolers. Members of the team will have the chance to make curriculum recommendations to our Instructional Materials Committee (IMC) that meets the needs of our students and community. The Adoption Committee will have diverse perspectives and representation from all aspects of our BSD Middle School Communities.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The responsibilities of a Middle School SEL Adoption member will require a strong commitment to improving education and a willingness to work collaboratively with a diverse group of stakeholders to achieve shared goals.
- Participating in team meetings: Adoption Committee members are expected to attend meetings regularly and actively engage in discussions, provide feedback, and offer insights and suggestions. Meetings will be held approximately two times a month for 2 hours starting in September, 2023, with a goal of presenting to the Instructional Material Committee in winter, 2024. Please see the draft meeting schedule below.
- Evaluating curriculum: The Adoption Committee will be responsible for exploring and evaluating curriculum that meets the needs of middle school students. This could include researching best practices, identifying criteria, and evaluating materials and resources.
- Determining professional development: Adoption Committee team members may be asked to identify what recommended professional development activities for teachers and other staff members will be necessary for implementation.
- Engaging with stakeholders: Adoption Committee team members will work closely with stakeholders, such as parents, students, and staff, to gain insights and feedback about various curriculum.
Students will be involved throughout the process at the school level through multiple outreach and listening campaigns.
2023-2024 Committee Members:
- Melisa Macias, Central Office (Director of Teaching & Learning)
- Kerince Bowen, Central Office (Director of Counseling)
- Jared Taylor, Central Office (Coordinator of Behavior Interventions & Mental Health Services)
- Layne Barker, Central Office (Signs of Suicide Coordinator & MHAT Counselor)
- Wendy Powell, Central Office (Secondary SEL Curriculum Developer)
- Stacy Harrison, Central Office (Student Management Coordinator & Truancy Case Manager)
- Alysa Palma, Central Office (CTE Instructional Technology & Program Developer)
- Gayle Staker, Odle (Behavioral Specialist)
- Annette Sternberg, Odle (PBIS Coach)
Behavior Intervention Tech:
Jessi Cassidy, Tillicum (Classified SEL Leader)
Jamie Hoener, Tyee (Counselor SEL Leader)
- Snesha Arumugam, Big Picture
- Van Look, Big Picture
- Sandra Featherly, Highland
- Vanessa Dacascos, Odle
- Shikha Mishra, Odle
- Linda Simovic, Odle
- Dhaarmika Coelho, Tillicum
- LaVar Robinson, Tillicum
- Mary Yuhas, Tillicum
- Radhika Mehra, Tyee
- Additional Parent, Tyee
- Trina Cooper, Big Picture
- Ariana Taylor, Big Picture (Building SEL Leader)
- Camille Dadural, Chinook (Building SEL Leader)
- Chelsea Ollar, Highland (Building SEL Leader)
- Hanna Merisko, International (Building SEL Leader)
- Nickie Powell, Odle (Building SEL Leader)
- Ashley Richardson, Tillicum (Building SEL Leader)
- Kia Odorico, Tyee (Building SEL Leader)
- October 10, 2023 – 4:30-6:30 p.m. (Online)
- October 23, 2023 – 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- October 30, 2023 – 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- November 9, 2023 – 2 p.m.-4 p.m. (Release day)
- December Update
- January 9, 2024 – 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- January 23, 2024 – 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- February/March, 2024 – TBD
- April/May, 2024 – If Needed
Melisa Macias – email@example.com
Director of Teaching & Learning
Wendy Powell – firstname.lastname@example.org
Secondary Social Emotional Learning Curriculum Developer
- Academic English Development Adoption Committee
- P-5 Literacy Instructional Materials Adoption Committee
- French 1a-4 Curriculum Adoption
- K-5 Arabic Heritage Language Adoption
- Grade 4 Social Studies Textbook Adoption Committee
- Middle School Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Curriculum Adoption Committee