Transfer for Cause
A parent or guardian may request that his or her child be allowed to attend another school in the district. Students who meet the requirements will be considered for transfer if adequate space is available at the proper grade level and other considerations, see Procedure 3120P for more information. The completed and signed Transfer For Cause Form must be submitted to the Student Placement office at 12111 NE 1st Street, Bellevue, WA 98005.
Students may be allowed to attend a school in the District other than the attendance area school when:
- There exists a special hardship or detrimental condition of financial, educational safety or health nature affecting the student or the student’s immediate family, provided the hardship or condition is likely to be significantly alleviated as a result of the transfer.
- A student who has been attending the school for a minimum of two years and during the last two grades of that grade span (e.g., Grades 4 or 5 for elementary) moves within the District to a new attendance area and the student wishes to remain at the same school.
- A student has school or personal adjustment problems which, in the best judgment of administrators of both schools involved, may be alleviated by transfer to another school in the District.
Students who meet the requirements will be considered for transfer when:
- Adequate space is available at the proper grade level; and
- Parent/guardian assumes full responsibility for adequate transportation and supervision to and from school.
Transfer for Cause submissions stating sibling enrollment in the school as the reason for the transfer will only be considered after the pending Open Enrollment requests of siblings have been placed.
Transfer for Cause students may be required to return to their home attendance area school or transfer to another school if the enrollment in the school or grade level at the school in which they are enrolled increases to the point where there would be inadequate space for transfer students. Enrollment increases may be caused by an influx of new resident students with in a school’s existing boundaries or by the addition of new resident students to a school as the result of a boundary change or movement or expansion of a District program.
Transfers for Cause granted are discontinued at the time the student leaves the school or program for any reason or if a student withdraws or is withdrawn from the Bellevue School District.
Transfers for Cause may be discontinued if the student is excessively tardy or truant, or if the student engages in frequent misconduct, and/or disruptive behavior in violation of school/program rules that indicate the student is not being successful in the school or program.
Before the transfer of a student is terminated under the above provision, the student and the parent/guardian will be notified that the student’s continued attendance at this school or program is in jeopardy. Should a decision be made to terminate the student’s transfer under this provision, the parent/guardian will be notified and may appeal that termination to the Superintendent’s Designee within three days of the notification.
Transfers for Cause are not available to students whose transfer was made under Interdistrict Transfer.
Students granted Transfer for Cause are not eligible to participate in varsity athletics for one calendar year after being enrolled in the new school. Students/parents who believe that they have extraordinary reasons and/or circumstances that should be considered to waive this rule may request an appeal through the rules of the Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA).