The Open Transfer application period has closed as of Friday January 14, 2022 at 4:30 pm. Results will be emailed in February for high school, March for middle school, and April for elementary school. Visit our Open Transfer and Nonresident FAQ pages for more information.
Beginning January 19th at 9 am students that missed the application period may submit a Transfer Request Waitlist application to be added to the bottom of a waitlist. The link to the online application will be on the Transfer Request webpage.
We are now accepting Open Transfer Applications for the 2022-23 school year. The application period will close Friday January 14, 2022 at 4:30 p.m. Results will be emailed in February for high school, March for middle school, and April for elementary school.
Open Transfer (formerly Open Enrollment) is the time each year when families may request to attend a school other than their attendance area school. If selected through Open Transfer, your student will attend the new school beginning the first day of school in the next school year.
- Students must be living in the district at the time of application and will need to submit proof of residency if accepted.
- You may only submit one application per student and may only apply for one school.
- To request sibling preference, the entering sibling must submit an open transfer application.
- All eligible students will be placed in a lottery.
- All participants will receive a notification email at the email address provided in the application. If space is available you will receive a placement offer, if not you will be notified of your student’s number on the waitlist.
When it is time to go to the next school level, students will automatically be enrolled in their attendance area school and must apply through Open Transfer to request a different school.
- If you need assistance in submitting your online application due to lack of internet access etc., please contact the Student Placement department at 425-456-4200 email@example.com .
The Open Transfer application is NOT for:
- Students who plan to attend their attendance area school. These students are guaranteed enrollment at their attendance area school and can simply enroll at their attendance area school.
- Students who have an approved transfer (Open Transfer, Request to Remain or Transfer Request) to attend their desired school and will remain at this school. These students will automatically roll up to the next grade if they have an approved transfer.
- Students who are currently receiving Self-Contained Advanced Learning Services or services in Special Education center-based programs. Appropriate school placement for students in centered programs is determined by the department providing the services.
There will be a general lottery for all applicants.
Applicants will be placed by grade level on the requested school list by lottery number. Applicants with priority, children of eligible Bellevue School District employees and those having sibling preference will be moved to the top of each list. Available spots will be offered to students by the list order, those not offered placement will be placed on a waitlist. After the initial placement period the Student Placement Office will maintain a waitlist for all schools if necessary. No waitlists will be carried over from year to year.
Late applications will not be considered.
In order to place students and plan for the upcoming school year in a timely manner, we are unable to accept late applications.
Transportation is NOT provided for open transfer students.
High school students may access the Metro bus route arrangement with the school district. Open transfer students may ride existing bus routes on a “space available” basis. The Transportation Department will not advise parents/guardians if there is space available until mid-September. Please plan on providing transportation for your student as space may not be available.
Siblings have preference.
If the student who is applying has a sibling at the requested school through Open Transfer, the applying sibling will have preference in admission providing that both siblings will attend the school together for a minimum of one year.
Open Transfer applications are NOT used for choice schools/programs.
Families interested in applying to International, Big Picture, Puesta del Sol, Jing Mei or the Spanish Dual Language Program should attend an information session to learn about the application process. The choice schools/programs application period for the upcoming school year will typically be from Monday of the first full week of December to Friday of the second full week of January, the actual dates will be posted on the BSD website in late November.
Approved Open Transfer application is not necessary to continue at the same school.
When a student has been accepted through Open Transfer, they may finish the school level without reapplying. The acceptance may be rescinded if the student is not in good standing.
Open Transfer students do not follow (level up) in the approved school’s feeder pattern.
When it is time to go to the next school level (from elementary school to middle school or middle school to high school) the student defaults back to their attendance area school. You must apply through Open Transfer to request a school other than your attendance area school.
Open Transfer students entering 9th grade may participate in athletics.
If your student is going to a new school in 9th grade, they will be able to participate in athletics at the new school. If your student is transferring to a new school in 10th, 11th or 12th grades, they may not be eligible to participate in sports. Please review the Washington Interscholastic Athletics Association (WIAA) guidelines for eligibility.
Who Can Apply?
Open Transfer is for students who live within the Bellevue School District. To participate in Open Transfer, the student must be physically living within the boundaries at the time of application. If the student does not live in the district at the time of application, you may not submit an application.
Nonresident students of Bellevue School District eligible employees will participate in Open Transfer; employee status will be verified with Human Resources.
You may not apply through Open Transfer to request a transfer in a center-based program such as Advanced Learning or Special Education. School placement for students in centered programs is determined by the department providing the services.
You may not apply for Open Transfer if your student does not live within the Bellevue School District and you are not an eligible employee of the District. As a nonresident, you may submit your student’s information to be added to the nonresident waitlist beginning March 1st. A link will be on the InterDistrict webpage. You may select one school. You will be able to indicate whether you are interested in other schools if space is available.
Which Schools are Available?
You may apply for any attendance area school in the district. Choice Schools and Programs are NOT part of Open Transfer (International School, Big Picture School, Jing Mei, Puesta del Sol and the Spanish Dual Language Program). Applications for these schools/programs must be submitted separately during the choice school program application period.
The Student Placement Office will approve or deny transfer based on the following criteria:
- Projected enrollment numbers for the building and specific grade at both the attendance area school and requested school
- Projected staffing levels
- Building capacity
For the 2021-22 school year all schools are closed for transfers.
Possible means there may be some space. Although we will maximize opportunities for all students who wish to attend a requested school, this does not mean we will be able to admit all students who apply. Notification for high school will be in February, middle school in March, and April for elementary schools.
Limited means there may be some opportunity at specific grade levels closer to the start of school. It will depend on actual enrollment numbers and class sizes. Notification will likely not be until August or September.
Closed Schools: Closed schools are unable to accept transfers. As schools are filled, we will move them to a Closed status.
Open Transfers normally continue until the student completes the educational program at the current level of enrollment (elementary, middle or high school). Open Transfers granted will continue until such time as a request for a transfer to another school is granted, or until the period of time set forth in the transfer has expired except as follows:
1. Open Transfer students may be required to transfer to another school if the enrollment in the school or grade level at the school in which they are enrolled increases to the point where there would be inadequate space for transfer students. Enrollment increases may be caused by an influx of new resident students within a school’s existing boundaries or by the addition of new resident students to a school as the result of a boundary change or movement or expansion of a district program.
2. Open Transfers granted are discontinued at the time the student leaves the school for any reason or if a student withdraws from the Bellevue School District.
3. Open Transfers may be discontinued if the student is excessively tardy or truant, or if the student engages in frequent misconduct, and/or disruptive behavior in violation of school/program rules that indicate the student is not being successful in the school or program.
4. Before the transfer of such a student is terminated under provision three above, the student and the parent/guardian will be notified that the student’s continued attendance at this school or program is in jeopardy. Should a decision be made to terminate the student’s transfer under this provision, the parent/guardian will be notified and may appeal that termination to the Superintendent’s designee within three days of the notification.